Functional HST

6x9base13

Essentially a slightly-modified HST program that I'm trying for the sake of increasing my anaerobic endurance, which has diminished over time due to an exclusive emphasis on low-repetition training. Muscular growth would be nice, but I was drawn to this program on the basis of its well-rounded focus on promoting both myofibril growth and intracellular energy-storage and metabolic capacity.

For the first two weeks I'll be performing 15s, according to the standard plan.

For the next two weeks it'll be the 10s.

After that I'll do four weeks with a weekly cycle between 15s (Monday), 10s (Wednesday), and 5s (Friday). Because I've specialized in the 5-rep range for months now, I feel that cycling the repetition ranges would benefit me more than returning to an exclusive focus on 5-repetition sets.

Across the entire eight weeks I'll retain three full-body power exercises with the intent of maintaining the neurological conditioning associated with effective power generation and, hopefully, maximal-effort strength.

The specific exercises I'll be using for this cycle are:

- Power Clean (barbell), Circuit A - 3 reps per set
- Sumo Deadlift (barbell), Circuit A
- Standing Calf (lever), Circuit A
- Bench Press (dumbbells), Circuits A and B
- Seated Row (cable), Circuits A and B
- Military Press (barbell), Circuits A and B
- Gymnast's Cross (cable), Circuits A and B
- Upright Row (barbell), Circuits A and B
- Boxer's Cross (cable), Circuit B - 5 reps per set
- Start Mower (cable), Circuit B - 5 reps per set
- Seated Calf (lever), Circuit B

Each circuit involves two sets of each of the exercises within that circuit. The lower-body and power exercises appear in only one of the two circuits, while the upper body exercises appear in both circuits. I've chosen this setup to account for the fact that my lower-body muscles seem to respond better to very low volumes while my (smaller) upper-body muscles can recover more quickly from and benefit more from greater volume.

Since a few of these exercises are a little odd, I'll explain them:

The Gymnast's Cross is a stretch-point isolation exercise targeting the latissimus dorsi, inspired by the "Iron Cross" hold performed by gymnasts on the rings. Using a functional trainer, I position the cable wheels directly over my outstretched hands, take hold of the handles, and pull them in an arc down to my sides. Resistance is greatest at the top of the movement, but continues to be significant until my hands are very near my sides.

I like this exercise because it has such a wide range of effective motion and because my arms (already fatigued from rows, which I give first priority) give out long before my back when performing pull-ups, so it's one of the few isolation movements I ever incorporate into my workout (the others being calf and forearm exercises, which are isolated by default). I also use a static hold at the end of my final set, which seems to have helped with improving starting strength on both this movement and standard pull-ups.

The Boxer's Cross is a core-oriented exercise modeled after the execution of a western boxer's cross punch. The exercise is performed at a speed where a successful repetition is one that throws the stack well beyond the point of full extension, and where the arm pulls back immediately - slowing about half-way to smoothly absorb the momentum of the weight as it returns. The next repetition is begun immediately upon the hand's return to starting position, which is only really possible if I've regained full control of the weight by that point.

Unlike most attempts at loading a sport-specific movement this exercise has not only strengthened the relevant muscles, but given me a greater kinesthetic understanding of how to coordinate the movement for optimal speed (which means power) and end-point leverage (which improves force transmission). It correlates even more closely to a one-arm push such as would be used in taiji, complete with the sensitivity training involved in smoothly neutralizing and returning a significant incoming force.

As to its muscular benefits, it's one of the few exercises that involves the gluteus medius and external rotators of the leg in anything even remotely resembling real-world movement. It heavily involves the obliques, anterior deltoid, and serratus anterior. It moderately involves the clavicular head of the pectoralis major, lateral deltoid, rectus abdominus, triceps, gastrocnemius, and gluteus maximus.

The Start Mower exercise is an exact reproduction of the motion one would use when starting a lawnmower's engine with a pull-chord, except with a heavier load. It is also performed with great speed (about the same as you'd need to start an aging lawnmower), and is also primarily core-oriented - with a muscle-activation profile complementary to the Boxer's Cross. Aside from targeting the obliques, this one brings in more of the lateral and rear heads of the deltoid, the latissimus and rhomboids, erector spinae, hip flexors, biceps, and brachioradialis. The gluteus medius is still somewhat involved, though to a lesser extent.

Aside from this list of exercises, I also use a wrist roller a couple times a day for my forearms (and as something to do if I'm feeling a bit bored or restless). Eccentric and isometric hand-resisted four-directional neck exercises come into play to improve my neck's shock-absorbing capacity.

~~~

Since one of my roommates (a complete newcomer to weightlifting) is accompanying me to the gym, I'll report on his progress as well.

Where he doesn't really have enough strength, skill, or coordination to perform most free-weight exercises correctly, and is concerned almost entirely with appearance rather than functional strength, I've written up a machine-based program for him.

I'm hoping that this will at least give him something to work with if he later decides to switch to or incorporate free weights (I'm not a fan of using machines exclusively except as a way for someone to test the waters without being immediately bombarded with several relatively subtle details of proper technique). If nothing else, he'll put on some lean mass.

He'll be doing an unmodified HST program, using the following exercises:

- Leg Press, Circuit A
- Leg Curl, Circuit A
- Standing Calf, Circuit A
- Chest Press, Circuits A and B
- Seated Row, Circuits A and B
- Overhead Press, Circuits A and B
- Lat Pull-down, Circuits A and B
- Preacher's Curl, Circuits A and B
- Seated Crunch, Circuit B
- Back Extension, Circuit B
- Seated Calf, Circuit B

~~~

I'm also in the process of gradually losing weight (well, fat - my total weight has remained pretty stable). My final goal is 8% bodyfat. Assuming I'm at 12% (my abs, serratus, and deltoid are all discernible but certainly not defined), and that I'll continue to shed about 0.5 pounds of bodyfat each week, it'll be about one cycle before I'm at 10% and another nine weeks before I reach 8%. Thus far, I've been able to simultaneously increase my strength and lean mass (albeit slowly), so I'm interested in seeing whether that'll continue.

<div>
(6x9base13 @ Jan. 12 2008,22:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As to its muscular benefits, it's one of the few exercises that involves the gluteus medius ...

AND

The gluteus medius is still somewhat involved, though to a lesser extent.</div>
Do be ever so careful with that gluteus medius! I've managed to get mine impressively sore at times. It seems once it tightens up, it doesn't want to let go -- even with deep tissue massage.
sad.gif

6*9base13 = 42,

As always, your posts are very thorough, detailed, and intriguing! I like the idea of the higher rep endurance training. Most people advise against this when cutting because of the need for high loads, but you still manage to have the 5's at least once per week. I will be interested in this log, so you better post updates!

-Colby

<div>
(Lol @ Jan. 15 2008,23:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">42 == TATLTUAE
smile.gif

All the best with this HST mod.</div>
I googled that and nothing came up?

Okay, first update:

This last week has been an exercise in coming home from the gym feeling like I'd just gotten my ass thoroughly kicked.

Some occasional self-humiliation is good, though, so...

As it turns out, I was even more out of shape in the high-rep ranges than I thought I'd be - I went in on the first day expecting to use the figures I got from playing with one of those weight/rep equivalent calculators, and found that the figures I got based on my 5s were way too high for my 15s, in most cases leaving me to push out about nine or ten before hitting failure.

Purely due to energy depletion, too - it was the kind of muscular failure you reach when you try to lift something with an arm you've been lying on and depriving of blood circulation. None of that &quot;last big push&quot; feeling, just a sort of numb, &quot;nope, that's it&quot; sort of of thing.

I definitely need to keep the 10s and 15s in rotation along with my 5s for a while - it's going to take a while before they're on par.

I also need to eat a greater proportion of carbohydrates than I'd been eating - that change alone made a huge difference between my first and second workouts.

Reducing the volume has helped - I'll probably bring it back up eventually, but these 15s have been leaving me feel a lot more drained than 5s have in months.

I've also been trying to think of ways to force myself to give myself a little time between sets. I'd gotten used to only taking about 15 seconds between sets (30-45 for the really big ones like deadlifts), which apparently isn't nearly enough time to refill the glycogen stores. Having a training partner works, but mine has found an excuse to stay home for every time I've gone this last week. Maybe I should take up Sudoku or something, because it really is a &quot;I can't stand just standing around and doing nothing&quot; kind of thing.

I had to max out both of the calf machines to really feel anything, and even then I felt it mostly in my thighs/shoulders (the later of which were actually scratched up when I got home from where the seams in my shirt had been pressed down and pulled on by the pads). Checking my calf measurements against those &quot;ideal proportion&quot; charts, I discovered that they're the only muscles I have that are actually a bit overdeveloped. I don't really know why.

I do wish they had a bit more shape to them (they're mostly soleus, not so much gastrocnemius), but I feel more of a concentrated burn in my gastrocnemius from just hopping around on my toes. So the calf exercises are out and hopping around on my toes when I'm bored is back in.

I was getting sloppy with the &quot;boxer's cross&quot; movement, so I'm saving it for my heavy-bag workouts for time being. The gluteus medius thing was never an issue (my leg stabilizers are actually disproportionately strong relative to the prime movers), but I don't want to injure anything in my shoulder girdle by putting it under that kind of stress when I'm not fully focused.

~~~

I just got back from an abbreviated routine (an old one, actually, that worked really well when I was getting used to the switch to 5-rep sets from the traditional 8-12 model) which seems to have left me at just the right balance of fatigue and eagerness to return on Monday:

Power Clean (3x3)
Military Press (2x15)
Sumo Deadlift (1x15)
Gymnast's Cross (2x15)
Reverse Crossover (2x15)
Machine Pullover (2x15)

I could have easily gone for a second set on the deads (I feel wiped at the end of a set, but can keep going back time after time if I take a minute or two between sets), but doing so at this rep range has been killing my performance on the back exercises later in the workout. One set also seems to be plenty to get my heart racing, pump up my legs, and stimulate improvement on the lift.

The &quot;reverse crossover&quot; vaguely resembles a cable crossover done backwards (or tearing open a bag full of peat moss that you'd been carrying in a bear-hug - which is where I got the idea), and feels a lot like an upright row with a full load right from a full stretch. It's good for hitting the lateral and rear heads of the deltoid, but not quite as good for getting the brachioradialis. I'd say the trapezius gets about the same stimulation either way.

I feel like I'm selling out a bit on the pullovers, but the pullover machine is one of the few that really seems to have a huge edge on the free-weight equivalent - and, despite its single-joint movement, it hits the chest, back, and rectus abdominus pretty well.

The abbreviated routine helps me to focus more on each individual set (because I know there aren't going to be many of them). It also helps me to finish my workout before the gym closes (I go after I get out of my night classes, but this means I have to keep it quick to fit my entire workout in before closing time).

~~~

I'm going to stick at the 15s for two more weeks and call this week a testing period, since I've gone four times and made adjustments every time as I've been figuring out what I'm doing.

~~~

I'm contemplating the addition of an isolation exercise for the gluteus, since I've noticed at these higher reps that my deadlifts tend to shift onto my erector spinae, hamstrings, and quadriceps (in that order) more quickly and to a greater extend than they really should. I had previously been thinking that it might have been a lower-back weakness that had stopped me from advancing on that one, but it looks more like my lower back only feels weak because it's being forced to do more than it should be doing.

Pre-tightening my upper back (as opposed to simply acting to hold it together after I start the pull) has had the counterintuitive effect of making it easier on my lower back.

Further research will ensue. Anybody know the name of this book I've heard about which is deadicated entirely to the intricacies of proper training and technique for Olympic and powerlifting lifts? By one of those Russian scientists, I think.

~~~

I also have a nutritional question that might have some bearing on my tiring so quickly, but I'll put that in the appropriate forum.

~~~

Yes, my handle is the question. No, I'm not the first person who thought of that loophole to multiplying six by nine and actually getting the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

Normally, I go by some variation of &quot;aRose4MLE&quot; on Internet forums - this one also perplexes people (and confuses them as to my gender) unless they're familiar with either William Faulkner or the Zombies.

<div>
(6x9base13 @ Jan. 19 2008,21:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Normally, I go by some variation of &quot;aRose4MLE&quot; on Internet forums - this one also perplexes people (and confuses them as to my gender) unless they're familiar with either William Faulkner or the Zombies.</div>
[Wherever I may find her -- Simon and Garfunkel...]

Back