Help w/ a HIIT routine

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_delphi23
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_delphi23

I am new to the HIIT concept. I have done some research and read about things like the Tabatta protocol, etc. I am thinking of incorporating HIIT into my workouts rather than longer term cardio. Can anyone suggest a good routine for a relative beginner with this.

For instance, how long should the increments be? 20 seconds? 30 seconds? A minute? And how many increments? 4? 8? And lastly, is it better to do something like level 3 (on an exercise bike say) then goto level 8 or to go level 3 - level 4 - level 3 - level 5, etc?

I'm thinking of either using a recumbent bike or an eliptical trainer. I hate treadmills. They kill my knees.

Any opinions?

Can I expand on delphi's request and ask for someone experienced to post a HIIT routine for beginners please?

i do this on a treadmill but you can use the same principal on any machine...4 mins warmup 1min level8,1min level9,1min level8,1min level10,1min level8,1min level 11,...and so on untill you have had enought or you cant go any higher..it doesnt have to be 1min it can be 2or3. :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester @ June 29 2005,5:29)]I thought there was a progressive element across the sessions?
its high, intensity, interval ,training,...you do progress from level 8 to 16.but you have a 1min recovery time every min.it gives you time to recover so you can go higher..if you just kept gouing higher you would fatigue to quickly,its also called fartlek training.

Actually Fartlek training is a little different from interval training in that it is not so rigid in its design. In interval training the person will run a given distance in a given time with a given rest. In Fartlek training there is no predetermined schedule to follow, but instead the athlete will set their own interval lengths and pace in response to their own feeling of the workload.

I like Fartlek training because it makes the workout fun and more like a game. Just like when we were kids!

When doing interval training it is usually suggested to rest longer between your sprints than the sprint will last. For instance if you go all out for 1 minute or 1 km then rest for 2 or 3 minutes (or 2 or 3 km ) between.

Mike

HIIT is certainly not a lot of fun.. :D

About the intervals, there was a study that showed that if you want to burn fat during HIIT, you had to keep the high intensity part under 15 seconds and have a ratio of 1 to 1.5 at least between the high and the low intensity part, for instance 12 sec high intensity, 28 sec low intensity.

This is because otherwise lactic acid accumulates in the cells, and it prevents the utilization of fat.

So you might want to do that to burn more fat during your session. It's not necessarily to goal of HIIT but I guess it won't hurt..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heavy Duty dude @ July 01 2005,3:13)]About the intervals, there was a study that showed that if you want to burn fat during HIIT, you had to keep the high intensity part under 15 seconds and have a ratio of 1 to 1.5 at least between the high and the low intensity part, for instance 12 sec high intensity, 28 sec low intensity.
This is because otherwise lactic acid accumulates in the cells, and it prevents the utilization of fat.
this is interesting hdd. can you or anyone point us (me at least) to an online version of this study if possible? and, do you need to go 100%, all-out during that high-intensity phase?

thanks plenty.
thumbs-up.gif

Here you go:
http://stephenholtfitness.com/article....oss.htm

However, HIIT is kind of weird. It's not sure that if you want the real effects of HIIT to take place, you must avoid lactic acid accumulation. I don't really know.

Maybe if you get more lactic acid, you get more metabolic stress on the muscle - like in HST and the phosphorylation of MAPK ERK1/2 with high reps/drop sets -, so more glucose uptake after and more nutrient partitionning.

HIIT is reaaaally strange..
laugh.gif

Back