Insulin: Body Weight and Energy Production

Lol

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just watched three videos on 'Insulin: Body Weight and Energy Production' by Dr. Scott Connelly. The videos have been posted in the CrossFit Journal which is normally for subscribers only, but these vids are free to watch so thought I'd post the link here for all interested:

http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/04/insulin-body-weight-and-energy-production.tpl

Quite a lot of the information presented went over my head on first viewing, but I will go over it again with a paper and pen when I have a bit more time. I've listened to Taubes' lectures in the past on insulin and the 'curse' of carbs and have always been less than convinced; Dr. Connelly, on the other hand, seems to present a much clearer case. I just need to be able to understand some of the material he presents a little better.

Thoughts?

Overview:

On March 12, 2010, Coach Greg Glassman and a small crew visited Dr. Scott Connelly in the Los Angeles offices of Progenex. The intent was to tap into Dr. Connelly’s vast knowledge of metabolism, particularly as it relates to long-term fitness and health.

The result was over 90 minutes of education about the relationships among glucose, insulin, ATP, protein, body weight and health. This is a dense, fast-moving presentation worthy of multiple viewings. Topics include:

* Why a calorie is not just a calorie.
* How insulin resistance was evolutionarily beneficial.
* How “dieting” can make you fatter.
* What happens when you hit the calcium wall.

Part 1 - 34min 56sec
Part 2 - 30min 14sec
Part 3 - 36min 7sec

Back