Interesting study

From a layman's POV, after checking it out to see that it was a decently done study, and having uncrossed my eyes several times I did what I usually do> skip down to the conclusions.
I'd say it pretty well proved what we allready know...
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Indeed &quot;fast proteins,&quot; which strongly increased amino acid availability (as reflected by plasma aminoacidemia), probably induced a stimulation of protein synthesis. By contrast, &quot;slow proteins,&quot; which modified plasma amino acid concentration to a much slower extent, were not associated with a stimulation of protein synthesis. In </div> ...and so forth...and it was refreshing to see that nitrogen balance is higher with frequent feedings as opposed to say, twice a day.
Aaron or Dan will probably get a lot more out of it.

Maybe I read the article differently, but a couple of things jumped out at me:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Our results suggest that a slowly digested protein induces a better postprandial utilization than a fast one.</div> and <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">With these calculations, we confirm a better (P &lt; 0.05) protein utilization over 7 h after the slow meals (CAS, 0.78 ± 0.04; RPT-WP, 0.80 ± 0.07) than after the fast meals (AA, 0.62 ± 0.06; WP, 0.66 ± 0.03).</div> These are in regard to nitrogen balance.

However, it sounds like the faster digesting proteins raised Amino acid levels in the blood stream to a much larger degree (increasing protein synthesis), albeit for much shorter periods of time (a spike for the whey vs. a plateu for the casein). I noticed too that the whey and AA both rasied blood sugar levels whereas the slower digesting proteins didn't (basically).

Personally, I'm using true protein's casein mixture with aminogen. I'm wondering if the study was done with additional protease enzymes in the whey and casein, if the amino acid levels in the bloodstream would have been higher? Supposedly, something like aminogen doubles the amount of aminos extracted from protein during digestion.

I'd like to read the opinions of others on the board as well, because I'm very new at interpreting study results, however, this seemed to be one of the easier studies to read.

OTOH, nitrogen balance is not the most reliable thing in the universe. Some things that should happen if we were to consider only nitrogen balance aren't happening. Just another thing to consider.

So it really sounds like the good old advice of using whey around work-outs and a slower digesting protein later is being proven.

Are there any studies that show if the quick impact of whey is blunted if mixed with a slower digesting protein?

In something like milk, the casein is clotted in the stomach, while the liquid fraction is quickly released from the gut into the small intestine for uptake.

additional proteases wont help digestion rate, and aminogen is funny as hell

Bejesus, I never know what to believe anymore. I think I understand that proteases won't increase digestion rate, but can they increase the efficiency of protein digestion? (not trying to troll, just trying to learn)

If you mix whey and casein protein powders, would this have a similar effect to what happens with milk?

If whey or casein have ~90-100% digestibility, how much better do you think they can get

biggrin.gif

and yes, mixng casein and whey together seems to have a similar effect to milk, the only difference if typically they are not mixed to the same ratio as present in milk.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Jul. 04 2007,8:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In something like milk, the casein is clotted in the stomach, while the liquid fraction is quickly released from the gut into the small intestine for uptake.

additional proteases wont help digestion rate, and aminogen is funny as hell</div>
Are you saying that Bryan was wrong to include bromelain (a protease) in PrimePLUS?  He also included papain (a hydrolase), so what about that enzyme?  Also, how do these enzymes relate to Aminogen?
rock.gif

When research shows that whey protein is absorbed at a similar rate to a whey protein that is significantly broken down(aka whey hydrolysate), the hydrolysis of the protein is not the limiting factor, and the minimal effect that including mild enzymes in the mix aint gonna help that to any great extent.

Back