Keto Vs Lowcarb

quadancer

Guys, I feel like I haven't paid attention in school lately or I'm complicating things.
I'm not real happy wth the IF diet lately: I seem to be running maintenance now that the original gains have slowed; it's real easy to eat myself out in 8 hours. I'm trying to figure out a few things about keto vs just lowcarb.
The energy factor of keto is attractive; the expense is not. But I need to do something different. Some guys think it's not that great for keeping gains and my arms have allready shrunk too much.
Assuming 100 g. of CHO/day as the maximum for entering a ketogenic state.
Assuming both diets have plenty of protein for sparing.
Assuming calories are basically equal; submaintenance.
Assuming we are beyond the 2-3 days it takes to become ketogenic.

LC diet is less in satiety than KD?
LC diet is less for energy, due to the body still running on carbs that aren't really there?
KD more difficult to shop for/ variety?

That's all the relevant comparison I can think of now. Do I have my facts straight, or did I miss something?
P.S. = IF the energy factor is taken into account; I see less missed workouts, perhaps better ones too. That would balance out the carb loss IMO. I've known Steve J. a long time, and if he says it gives energy; it does, so I speak of that as fact, before trying it myself.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 16 2008,6:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Guys, I feel like I haven't paid attention in school lately or I'm complicating things.
I'm not real happy wth the IF diet lately: I seem to be running maintenance now that the original gains have slowed; it's real easy to eat myself out in 8 hours. I'm trying to figure out a few things about keto vs just lowcarb.
The energy factor of keto is attractive; the expense is not. But I need to do something different. Some guys think it's not that great for keeping gains and my arms have allready shrunk too much.
Assuming 100 g. of CHO/day as the maximum for entering a ketogenic state.
Assuming both diets have plenty of protein for sparing.
Assuming calories are basically equal; submaintenance.
Assuming we are beyond the 2-3 days it takes to become ketogenic.

LC diet is less in satiety than KD?
LC diet is less for energy, due to the body still running on carbs that aren't really there?
KD more difficult to shop for/ variety?

That's all the relevant comparison I can think of now. Do I have my facts straight, or did I miss something?
P.S. = IF the energy factor is taken into account; I see less missed workouts, perhaps better ones too. That would balance out the carb loss IMO. I've known Steve J. a long time, and if he says it gives energy; it does, so I speak of that as fact, before trying it myself.</div>
If I've learned anything in all my plifting/bbing experiments, it's that everyone is different, and you can't truly accept anything as fact until you have proven it's applicable to you.  If you recall, I'm also the guy who recommended the 7 min. rc thing to you.  It helped for me, but didn't work for you.  So, just want to throw my two cents about my zero carb diet really quick, and why it's important to wait until the experiment is over so you can assess all the babble in my log instead of just two or three weeks worth.  

Let's look at my recent past.  I did two grueling cycles of a very high volume/high intensity sheiko plifting routine for 9 weeks (4 weeks on/1 week off).  By the end of the 2nd cycle, my body was shlt.  I was physically and emotionally drained.  Then, I took 4 weeks off.  After the 4 weeks, I started HST again with the intentions of cutting.  Well, I had completely recuperated from the overtraining in sheiko after 4 weeks, so I was stronger than I had ever been in my life (minus some injury related stuff).   HST seems easy because I miscalculate how much weight I can do for reps (especially 5 reps).  So, I'm over here freaking out about how much energy I have in the gym.  

I'm not trying to discount everything I've said about the ketogenic diet giving me energy, I'm just trying to provide both of us with some perspective.  Three weeks just isn't enough time to be certain that this diet really is giving me energy or not, especially after what I've been through in the recent past (workout wise).  I think my next cycle of HST will give me a more realistic idea of how much energy I'm getting off of this zero carb diet.  The primary reason being that I won't miscalculate how much weight I can push for x number of reps.  As far as cardio is concerned, I have to say that my energy level is pretty high, and I didn't do any cardio during sheiko or those 4 weeks off.  So, that is promising.
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">LC diet is less in satiety than KD?</div>
You bet your a$$ it is.   I was never satisfied on a low carb diet. KD diet completely different.  Fat satisfies me.
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">LC diet is less for energy, due to the body still running on carbs that aren't really there?</div>
Don't know the reasoning behind it, but thus far I have far more energy on KD than LC.
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">KD more difficult to shop for/ variety?</div>
My diet is beginning to become boring and bland.  As a result, I'm losing my appetite.  Becoming harder to consume 3200 cals now.

A ketogenic diet is by definition a low carb diet. A low carb diet contains less than 130g/d of carbs. A ketogenic diet also contains less than 130g/d of carbs (it contains exactly zero carbs). A low carb diet does not explicitly state how much fat it contains but it's implied that it should be high fat. A ketogenic diet is high fat. In other words, there is no difference between a low carb diet and a ketogenic diet. For instance, the Atkins diet is low carb and it explicitly states that one must achieve ketosis in the induction phase so it too is a ketogenic diet.

It's a myth that a ketogenic diet is expensive. Fat is cheap and can even be gotten for free if you ask for fat scraps at the butcher or at the meat processor. Since fat is more nutritious than either protein or carbs, it satiates more and so we can eat less of it for the same satiating effect. Also, since a low carb diet allows stored fat to be released in the bloodstream thereby increasing available nutrients, if we have a surplus of fat on our body this fat counts toward total available nutrients.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Assuming 100 g. of CHO/day as the maximum for entering a ketogenic state.</div>

This is generally true for non-endurance athletes but research has shown cyclists being in ketosis with well over 100g of carbs per day

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">LC diet is less in satiety than KD?</div>

It depends on the individual, but generally this seems to be true. For those who DO get the increased satiety of a ketogenic diet. Some people don't, and you will have to test it out to see. Personally, It's day and night for me. A low carb diet is way more satiating than even a moderate carb diet, and a high fat ketogenic diet, with minimal carbs is even more satiating than low carbs, FOR ME and many others.

Effects of a high-protein ketogenic diet on hunger, appetite, and weight loss in obese men feeding ad libitum 1,2,3
Alexandra M Johnstone, Graham W Horgan, Sandra D Murison, David M Bremner and Gerald E Lobley

1 From the Division of Obesity and Metabolic Health (AMJ, SDM, DMB, and GEL) and Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (GWH), Rowett Research Institute, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Background: Altering the macronutrient composition of the diet influences hunger and satiety. Studies have compared high- and low-protein diets, but there are few data on carbohydrate content and ketosis on motivation to eat and ad libitum intake.

Objective: We aimed to compare the hunger, appetite, and weight-loss responses to a high-protein, low-carbohydrate [(LC) ketogenic] and those to a high-protein, medium-carbohydrate [(MC) nonketogenic] diet in obese men feeding ad libitum.

Design: Seventeen obese men were studied in a residential trial; food was provided daily. Subjects were offered 2 high-protein (30% of energy) ad libitum diets, each for a 4-wk period—an LC (4% carbohydrate) ketogenic diet and an MC (35% carbohydrate) diet—randomized in a crossover design. Body weight was measured daily, and ketosis was monitored by analysis of plasma and urine samples. Hunger was assessed by using a computerized visual analogue system.

Results: Ad libitum energy intakes were lower with the LC diet than with the MC diet [P = 0.02; SE of the difference (SED): 0.27] at 7.25 and 7.95 MJ/d, respectively. Over the 4-wk period, hunger was significantly lower (P = 0.014; SED: 1.76) and weight loss was significantly greater (P = 0.006; SED: 0.62) with the LC diet (6.34 kg) than with the MC diet (4.35 kg). The LC diet induced ketosis with mean 3-hydroxybutyrate concentrations of 1.52 mmol/L in plasma (P = 0.036 from baseline; SED: 0.62) and 2.99 mmol/L in urine (P &lt; 0.001 from baseline; SED: 0.36).

Conclusion: In the short term, high-protein, low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets reduce hunger and lower food intake significantly more than do high-protein, medium-carbohydrate nonketogenic diets.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">LC diet is less for energy, due to the body still running on
carbs that aren't really there?</div>

No. The body doesn't work this way. It's not an on/off switch where the body is either a sugar-burner or fat-burner. It's a continuum. Most of the body runs on a reverse randle cycle, where carbohydrate availability will determine fuel utilization. The reduction or removal of carbohydrates increase fat utilization, but increasing dietary fat has little effect on increasing fat utilization.

So a low carb diet is providing less glucose than the brain needs. The brain isn't gonna burn glucose that isn't available, it's going to get its energy from ketones, which the liver makes from fats, the glycerol of fatty acids (provides a small amount of glucose), and the oxidation of amino acids, which can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis.

Most of the body can use fat and ketones as an energy source, but the brain, red blood cells, and kidneys will ALWAYS need some glucose, as carbs are lowered, the needs go down. The brain generally needs 120g of glucose a day, as carbs get lower, ketones make up the difference. Less carbs, more ketones for fuel. Regardless of carb intake, the brain WILL get its energy needs. Some people feel great on low carbs NOT being in ketosis, others do not. It just depends and it takes more than a few days for most people to adapt. True adaptation to a ketogenic diet takes about a full month of strait ketosis.

If you want to test if a rise in ketones will increase satiety, which some research suggests it does and others suggest it doesn't. Buy some PURE MCT (medium chain triglyceride) oil. Make sure it isn't twinlabs, as that has sugar. NOW BRAND makes a good one. Or pick up some extra virgin coconut oil and add a tablespoon to each meal. Coconut oil is 50% mct's, and MCT's go directly to the liver to produce ketones, more efficiently and quickly than all other fats.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">KD more difficult to shop for/ variety?</div>

Cheap and easy, as Martin mentioned, some butchers will give the fatty scraps of meat away. And any fatty, cheap meats will do. Pork, chuck steak, 75% ground beef, ground lamb, turkey thighes, sardines, canned salmon (mmm) whole eggs are still relatively cheap, frozen veggies and you're set.

Steve: Gotcha bro. I should explain that I have that fatigue syndrome thing going on again, so I'm also talking about the all-day energy, as well as in the w.o.

Martin: I had no words for a descriptive between the 100g carb (you say 130) level and above, so I called it lowcarb, but I get your point.

Pete: AWESOME info there! This in particular: <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It's not an on/off switch where the body is either a sugar-burner or fat-burner. It's a continuum. Most of the body runs on a reverse randle cycle, where carbohydrate availability will determine fuel utilization. </div> This muddies the reasoning of any setpoint of conversion to ketones IMO, but is actually good news I believe, inasmuch as you can begin the transfer earlier in the diet? But still, I'd read about a lagging period of sluggishness, weakness, etc., so it must not be a linear conversion.
Thanx a lot guys, doing great!

The Metabolic Diet by Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale is based on the fact that everyone is different and should adjust their carb intake accordingly.  Starting very low 30gm/d and adjusting up until you find your proper P/F/C ratio.

Back