Lactate Threshold and Creatine

Captain Crunch

This is the first year that I have been using creatine and as some of you may know I am an avid cyclist. I have noticed this year that my recovery time after explosive efforts is much, much better than it ever has been and that my hill climbing has also improved as well. The only changes to my training have been the creatine. To be honest, my training regimen is less than it has been in the past which in cycling usually means slower not faster.

Does anyone know if there have been studies done on the relationship of creatine and lactate threshold?

Thanks

Mike

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ June 03 2005,11:35)]Creatine should delay/reduce the amount of lactate produced
Agreeing with Aaron on it should but during all the reading about Creatine that I have done I have not found any consistent data that it does in long term endurance tests. There is one or two studies that looked at creatine and lactate unfortunately none of them used a loading phase and one used a pyruvate and creatine solution, neither showed any significant changes in lactate. There are several studies on sprint cycling performance and creatine use but even those are mixed as to results, but the preponderance of data indicates it is useful in recovery from high intensity, short duration, activity.

Read the work of Richard Kreider and Anna Casey they have done some decent reviews.

Thanks for the replies. Can point me in the direction of the studies you were mentioning? I'm not sure if it is the creatine or not but whatever is happening I'm liking it a lot.

Mike

Back