Meals Before Bed

Louno

Hi,
I think its pretty safe to say that muscle builds during sleep... So shouldnt the meal right before bed be the most important one ?

Ive heard many times that eating before bed is not nice because alot of the calories will turn into fat...

The way I understand things, is that during sleep, your body uses less energy to be alive, there are X amount of calories per hour needed, anything above that might be stored as fat... If you eat something really high on carbs like pasta, then it will most likely turn into fat, because the carbs/calories are absorbed really fast and there is an "overdose" of calories...

So what ive been doing... i use some whey protein with milk, i take half a scoop ( about 12g protein + 6g for milk ) .. the whey protein I use has no carbs / fat in it, only protein... I dont know if this is recommended ? I mostly do it on days whenI actually went to the gym during the day ( in average about 5 to 8 hours before bedtime )...

The problem I can see with this solution is that whey protein i think is made to be absorbed really fast... what i need is something that gets absorbed really slow and is high in protein ( low in fat / carbs ) ...

What do you think ?
skim milk ?
whole weat bread ?

how much can i take ?

People who say that these calories will turn into fat are idiots. They simply think that while you are sleeping, your body doesn't burn calories. BMR stands for Basal Metabolic Rate aka your resting metabolic rate. It is the amount of calories you burn while resting.

If you want a food that is high in protein and low in carbs and fat that is absorbed slow, then why not try an open-faced chicken sandwich on wheat?

Just make sure you hit your calorie/protein goals before bed. If you are cutting however and want to stave off hunger I would suggest something that takes a long time to digest.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 24 2008,9:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you want a food that is high in protein and low in carbs and fat that is absorbed slow, then why not try an open-faced chicken sandwich on wheat?</div>
Or a cup of fat-free cottage cheese -- 30 grams of protein, mostly casein, low carbs, no fat.

The casein is digested slowly through the night and (maybe) works to reduce any potential [rolls eyes] muscle loss during sleep.

Regarding tunnelrats comment...thats what i have read, that casein is best in the evening/ before bed which helps to reduce catabolism during the night as you temporarily fast..so it helps to reduce protein breakdown rather than increase protein synthesis..i would like to know whether this is just as important as eating above BMR...

As i see it if you eat above BMR during the day and you dont eat after 5 for example, this wont be optimal for muscle growth as your system may be empty (blood level of amino acids) at about 12 or so??? so protein breakdown will be accelerated during sleep..or am i getting it wrong??

I would greatly appreciate clarification from someone who understands this process......

Back