Muscle relaxants for SD ?

micmic

I have this crazy idea... would a muscle relaxant like Orphenadrine (but not Tizanidine because of its alpha-2 action) enhance /accelerate SD ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (micmic @ April 14 2003,8:53)]I have this crazy idea... would a muscle relaxant like Orphenadrine (but not Tizanidine because of its alpha-2 action) enhance /accelerate SD ?
Whats you ideia? Staying in bed for two or more weeks on muscle relaxers? That would be quite an SD....Seriously though, I have no ideia.

I'm not sure how muscle relaxers would help at all. Your body will heal more quickly with more sleep. Your muscles are very relaxed during sleep. I would tend to think that taking anything that induces relaxation could block and hinder certain processes.

I have this uncontrollable urge to try it... someone please protect me from myself!
tounge.gif

The absolute SD: in bed 24/7, catheterized, intravenous feeding & strong sedatives :D

Dear Micmic,
SD is about desensitization of muscle to growth stimulus via lay-off from any intentional strenous activity.

But total inactivity is not recommended.

Postural muscles can go weak, bone can lose density. It still is recommended that one have a life while in SD. Vegging out in bed is perhaps, not ideal.

The use of Orphenadrine, Tizanidine etc (I do not know in great detail what these drugs do but from your message I gather they down-regulate sympathetic activity) is not necessary as long as you avoid strenous activity.

Your motor neurons are always excitatory, in that if stimulated they lead to contraction. The best way to relax them would be to not strain them i.e. don't lift weights, don't carry heavy luggage etc.

And if your voluntary muscles are in spasm, I'd recommend having a massage or two. Try to find an ART (Active Release Technique) practitioner if possible or at least one who is skilled in trigger-point therapy.

If you have access to such 'supplements', perhaps you would also have access to anabolic-injectable supplements? Those would do better in enhancing sensitivity of your muscles to growth stimuli.

All in all, as you have said it, it is a crazy idea to want to contemplate "The absolute SD: in bed 24/7, catheterized, intravenous feeding & strong sedatives". Considering drug side effects and loss of muscle and bone tone, don't do it.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Muscle relaxants will not leave you exhausted and weak! Orphenadrine is a mild anticholinergic and doesn't have any remarkable side effects. We're not talking about "total inactivity". Many people take it regularly (e.g. for chronic lower back pain). I have taken it in the past for 2-3 days and didn't feel anything, ECA stack is certainly more dangerous :)

I just speculated that during SD muscle tone (the level of muscle contraction while resting) will certainly go down and this will have something to do with the physiology behind deconditioning. So, why not induce the lowering of muscle tone ourselves ? I know that there can be too much of a good thing, but Orphenadrine is really no big deal. Besides, if it does work towards deconditioning, it would be possible to significantly shorten SD.

The only reason I'm not trying it is that I can't think of any way to measure the results of SD with/ without it :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you have access to such 'supplements', perhaps you would also have access to anabolic-injectable supplements? Those would do better in enhancing sensitivity of your muscles to growth stimuli.

Oh, talk about access! Everything in the reach of my arms :) But I prefer to avoid them (for the time being, at least ;) )

Back