My Dieting Intake

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As far as not eating, the only time I can go not eating is if I am busy. But once I start eating it's very hard to stop. For instance weekends or days that I'm at home or not very busy I could easily sit there all day and eat.
That's true for me, too. But I have to be REALLY busy, like having sex or playing Civilization :D And now that I'm 35, I have demystified both ;)

Reading about sardines made me hungry! I love sardines! In fact, after 2 hard years of dieting in order to come down to 9%, I love everything! I daydream about foods I wouldn't touch, like okras & cauliflower. Something has changed in me, like I was abducted by aliens or something :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (micmic @ Mar. 18 2003,10:21)]Reading about sardines made me hungry! I love sardines! In fact, after 2 hard years of dieting in order to come down to 9%, I love everything! I daydream about foods I wouldn't touch, like okras & cauliflower. Something has changed in me, like I was abducted by aliens or something :D
Sounds like classic signs of low leptin levels. You need to refeed man!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And yes, I've tried zone too. In fact, right now I'm close to the 30-40-30 percentages.

As resident Zone guru I have to make sure you have done it right :D Have you used Sears' adjustments that he changed after the first book? Starting form 40/30/30, if your hungry and mentally 'loopy' 4 hours after a meal then drop your carbs back one 'block' (9-10 grams). If your hungry but still maintain mental accuity than raise the carbs one block. Basically, you need to adjust the carb/protein ratio until your not hungry for 4-5 hours, to suit your own chemistry. Works for me, I cant diet for long without it b/c as soon as Im hungry I get really pissy!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sounds like classic signs of low leptin levels. You need to refeed man!
Oh, I've had my refeeds! By saying I've been dieting for two years, I don't mean that I was hypocaloric all this time. I was *trying* to be hypocaloric. :D I didn't have too much fat to get rid of, I came down to 9% from 18%. I just took my time... because I was too hungry all the time.
I remember using this method *before* the second Sears book. Someone else has first used the mental and physical feeling to adjust carbs & protein, right ? Well, although I wasn't really hungry, my terrible cravings were not alleviated.
To tell you the truth, I have lost my faith in Sears since I've discovered how much he has turned everything into business. The "zone" bars was my point of no return :D
Besides, he is recommending fat even in the post-workout meal. Do you take fat with your post-workout meal ?
Furthermore, I believe that the Zone diet may be a very good way to live longer, but is not the best way to pack muscle. Right ?

Low leptin levels will happen refeed or not. THey help, but as you start getting much below your set point (which may be closer to 18% for you), your body will start fighting (getting hungry is one signal) and you will need to increase the occurance of the refeeds, and or take a major break and maintain for a long period of time to start to try and reset your body (it may potentially work, but if it does it would take a LONG time)
then go thru alternating periods of low calorie, followed by increased calorie intake. ie zig zagging in extent, to allow the body some respite from calorie restriction, as refeeding will only have so much of an effect.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you take fat with your post-workout meal ?

When dieting yes. When bulking I have more carbs + protein.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To tell you the truth, I have lost my faith in Sears since I've discovered how much he has turned everything into business.

As a Capitalist, I think everyone has the right to market their ideas
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As a Capitalist, I think everyone has the right to market their ideas
Legal right ? Sure. I'm talking about moral right. My definition of "moral" anyway. I don't have anything against marketing, on the contrary: I believe you have to sell something in order to keep a useful web site going nowdays. So, it's not "marketing of ideas" that bothers me. It's the "changing of the original ideas in order to fit the laws of marketing".

I mentioned the zone bars because they are totally contradictious with his original recommendations: unprocessed food without preservatives. He even has sugar & sunflower oil in them, come on!!! Not to mention the "ZonePerfect Quick Start Kit". Well, ALL diets can be summarized in a couple of pages. For the reasons of marketing, I can understand a book or two. But Mr. Sears seems like he is going to be sucking dry his zone diet till kingdom come. Not only that, but I believe he's actually betraying a lot of the things he wrote in the first book.

Ah, ok, I have never seen or had the bars here in australia
thumbs-up.gif
They sound like shite! Although, those bars were the reason he broke away from the original zoneperfect/ecotech franchise.

Much better to look at Lyle's work IMO, but I stick to zone otherwise Im too hungry :D

Back