Myostatin

bleh555

Does Myostatin inhibitors work in helping build muscle? If it works does it have any health repercussions?

Effects of an alleged myostatin-binding supplement and heavy resistance training on serum myostatin, muscle strength and mass, and body composition.

Willoughby DS.

Exercise and Biochemical Nutrition Laboratory, Dept of Health, Human Performance, and Recreation, Baylor University, Waco, TX 76798-7313, USA.

This study examined 12 wk of resistance training and cystoseira canariensis supplementation on serum levels of myostatin and follistatin-like related gene (FLRG) and muscle strength and body composition. Twenty-two untrained males were randomly assigned to a placebo (PLC) or myostatin binder (MYO) group in a double-blind fashion. Blood was obtained before and after 6 and 12 wk of training. PLC and MYO trained thrice weekly using 3 sets of 6 to 8 repetitions at 85 % to 90 % 1 repetition maximum. MYO ingested 1200 mg/d of cystoseira canariensis. Data were analyzed with 2-way ANOVA. After training, total body mass, fat-free mass, muscle strength, thigh volume/mass, and serum myostatin and FLRG increased for both groups (P < 0.05); however, there were no differences between groups (P > 0.05). Twelve wk of heavy resistance training and 1200 mg/d of cystoseira canariensis supplementation appears ineffective at inhibiting serum myostatin and increasing muscle strength and mass or decreasing fat mass.

Isn't myostatin or the lack thereof only responsible for muscle growth during the developmental years of animals? As I understood it, its role was much less critical in mature adults and messing with it could cause cardiac problems.

One thing I heard of was an engineered virus that caused the release of muscle specific IGF, and that seemed promising, especially for people with diseases where wasting was common as with cancer and AIDS. I believe a 10-20% increase in lean muscle mass was hoped for, if not achieved yet. And of course if it had a similar effect on healthy adults, then thank God for the black market.

EDIT: As an aside, I have no idea if the above is true or even possible, or where I heard/read it originally. But the possibility is interesting.

Back