Need some input.

BIZ

Have a quick question for those familiar with ketogenic diets and the sort. I have eliminated carbs with the exception of the few carbs in cheese and my Sugar Free Metamusil, but was wondering if it would be beneficial to have an apple pre-workout and some simple sugar with my protein postworkout? I have a contest in April and want to lose as much fat and water as possible and that has already started, but I do not want to flatten out from glycogen depletion. Any input?? Thanks...
BIZ

Unfortunately, unless you are taking in a reasonable amount of carbs, you will flatten out somewhat (even with carb refeeds), its just the way they work.
Carb loading before the competition will eliminate the flatness, but may require some practice to see how you respond.
Carbs before/after training can be useful to enable adequate intensity in training, and if your calories are in check, then fat loss wont suffer.

How about doing keto diet for 5 days and carbing up on days 6-7? I have heard of people doing it this way. I am looking for a way to drop fat for my next contest, because with HST, you just do not burn enough calories during the 10's and 5's, and I am not doing cardio because I tend to drop too much mass with cardio.

I am inquiring because I have to cut carbs in my diet due to a fairly sedentary job. I only workout three days a week, no cardio worth mentioning (I need as much mass as possible, so do not want to use calories on cardio).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIZ @ Feb. 15 2003,4:48)]How about doing keto diet for 5 days and carbing up on days 6-7? I have heard of people doing it this way. I am looking for a way to drop fat for my next contest, because with HST, you just do not burn enough calories during the 10's and 5's, and I am not doing cardio because I tend to drop too much mass with cardio.
Even with a carbload for 2 days, after the next training session (or two), you wont have any carb really. This is why most of the people who do cyclical keto diets alter their training so the bulk of the work is done in the first 2 days post carb load. If you need to lose weight, you need to lower calories. If you are doing very little each day (i do next to nothing) you need to drop your calories very low (sometimes as low as 7kcal/lb) to actually get decent weight loss. Low carb makes no real difference to this, apart from the fact that when you get to 7cal/lb it makes it hard to get adequate carbs while still keeping up protien and fat)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am inquiring because I have to cut carbs in my diet due to a fairly sedentary job. I only workout three days a week, no cardio worth mentioning (I need as much mass as possible, so do not want to use calories on cardio).
Once you start getting lean, keto or not, you will lose mass, unfortuantely its the way t he body works. Altho you can do your best to limit the loss with refeeding (high or low carbing), raised protein intake and frequent resistance training.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Even with a carbload for 2 days, after the next training session (or two), you wont have any carb really.
tha's is why I prefer NHE over other low carb diets
it calls for carbing every 3-4 days
enough (for me) to do HST in standard 3 day a week :D

Thanks for the input guys. I will experiment a bit and see what I can come up with that works for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZMT @ Feb. 17 2003,10:29)]tha's is why I prefer NHE over other low carb diets
it calls for carbing every 3-4 days
enough (for me) to do HST in standard 3 day a week :D
Which is all well and good, if you maintain a calorie deficit, which some people may have problems doing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Which is all well and good, if you maintain a calorie deficit, which some people may have problems doing.
I have to say that is pretty easy (even not counting calories)- again for me :) - so much fat in food reduce the appetite, so much, that I even (sometime) have to force myself to eating.
sure calories out have to be > than in, but for me it is easier to do it on low carb diet

I was talking about the carb loading days. Some people have very good appetite suppression on low carb days (I dont, and I havent met many people who do, but tis a common thing)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Which is all well and good, if you maintain a calorie deficit, which some people may have problems doing.
I was talking about the carb loading days
hmm, not sure if I understand you correctly, but since on NHE only 1 to 2 last meals in the day are refeeding (every 3-4 days) , so it is hard to overeat (I am acctualy overeating during 2 meal, but no problem with accumulating bodyfat)

Ever hear of Jay Robb?
A contest promoter I know has been trying to get me to try his diet for getting lean for contests, so I finally bought his book and will give it a shot. He calls for carb down days (3-4) and carb up days (1.5-2). He also lays it out for you up to the day of the contest, which will help me.

Im sought of a fan of Robb's. Although his reasons for his diet working is simply by getting you to eat less while getting adequate protein and EFAs.

He uses the same voodoo BS as everyone else to sell it tho. Food Combining/ insulin etc. It ends up as another version of a low cal CKD, but to his credit he was one of the first.

Back