Popping sounds from knee during squats

I

imported_gambo

So (after taking way too much time off) I've returned to my training but I've discovered that when I do squats my right knee makes at least 3 distinct crackling/popping sounds during squats, even at low weight.

There's no pain, but I've stopped doing squats because I'm concerned I might be damaging something in there... If I were shredding cartlidge/connective tissue/etc would I know?

Hi there,
I get that too but in both knees, always have as well even without weight. Some of my family are the same.

I have never had any problems and don't worry about it but thats me. Beyond warming up well and stopping immediately if there is any pain you may just be stuck with it.
J  
smile.gif

If it's not associated with pain, you're fine.

As an example, my left knee has done this for ages. But, ironically, my right knee, which doesn't make much crunch sounds, is actually the one with a little bit of recurrent patellar tendinitis at the moment.

Besides the rice crispie effect, my left knee feels like a million bucks.

If you're really spooked, check out the tommy kono knee bands on bodybuilding.com (the cheapest place I've found to buy them online). They keep the knee lubricated and, anecdotally, seem to make my knees feel really good in general when wearing them for squats.

It's probably just fluid moving around inside the knee area. I get that walking down stairs - my knees and ankles sound like I'm walking on bubble wrap!
rock.gif

Like has been said, if it doesn't hurt I wouldn't worry too much.

Back