Protein is Protein?

Mindwraith

I've heard some people on other boards say that its best to get all your protein from food sources such as meat. Is there any truth to that?

I tend to doubt it. How is one protein source better than another? Is it not all the same? Whey has protein, milk has protein, and meat has protein. What does it matter where you get it from?

Ok so with all that new information, as usual comes more questions, however I can assume the following from that article:

1. Whey, egg, and milk have a higher BV than Meat, however the difference is slight, and dependant upon my daily caloric intake.

2. Whey might contain different indespensable proteins than milk, but both may be needed at different times and situations.

3. Whey is absorbed faster into the system, and therefore good for pre-post workout, while whole proteins from egg, meat, and milk are slower, but last longer, and are good for times that are not within a couple hours of my work out.

4. Each one contains certain indespensable AA's, all of which I need at different times.

5. According to the 2nd area in that article, the more protein I eat in one sitting, the more the BV drops?

So tryptophan proteins are highest in turkey, which makes it seem as though perhaps turkey would be the best source of protein from meat?

Also, when they refer to casein milk, is that cows milk?

So in summary, I gather that I need protein from all sources throughout the day, and that whey protein is best taken only before and after work out. On non work out days whey is best taken in the morning, and the rest of the day I should get my protein from all the other sources. What if I add cardio on those off days, would I then take more BCAA's? If so what is the best source for that?

I guess basically this quote from the article pretty much sums up what I needed to know:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As an example, grains are typically very low in lysine but high in methionine while legumes are low in methionine but high in lysine. This complementarity between vegetable proteins led to the premise of combining grains and legumes together, to obtain a 'complete' protein (1). In general, limiting AAs should be a non-issue unless an individual is consuming all of their protein from a single source, and only if that source is a poor quality protein to begin with. That is, since proteins differ in their limiting AA, someone eating a variety of protein sources should fulfill their AA requirements with little difficulty. However, consuming large amounts of a low quality protein, one could consume adequate AAs for health and functioning. This would simply be an inefficient way of doing things because an excess of non-limiting AAs would be consumed simply to provide enough of the limiting AA.

Since I can't stand alfalfa and green beans, would peanuts or a can of beans be a good source of protein? And as for grain protein would scoops of oat bran be good? My parents always made us eat huge heaping teaspoons full of oatbran with water when we took our vitamins, I'm used to that and it doesn't taste bad at all, spoonfulls is a serving.

Back