release rates and concentration of protein?

noobie

how are there proteins out there that take longer to release than others? Specifically how do the powders work, is it just due to the different types of protein? egg vs whey and all that?
also, the slow proteins out there, are they really effective? many brands say that they have slow protein that will provide adequate protein for a certain amount of time, but on the label it still says protein: 20 grams 30 grams. If you are ingesting the same amount of protein as say... "fast protein" how are you getting a good amount of protein over time? is 20 grams just 20 grams of protein? or can protein be concentrated say... to "fit" more protein into 20 grams of powder? basically, how does slow protein work and does it contain more protein in order to acheive its purpose? let me know if some of that is confusing, I'm not quite sure how to ask it. any thoughts are appreciated :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (noobie @ Jan. 04 2005,9:52)]how are there proteins out there that take longer to release than others? Specifically how do the powders work, is it just due to the different types of protein? egg vs whey and all that?
also, the slow proteins out there, are they really effective? many brands say that they have slow protein that will provide adequate protein for a certain amount of time, but on the label it still says protein: 20 grams 30 grams. If you are ingesting the same amount of protein as say... "fast protein" how are you getting a good amount of protein over time? is 20 grams just 20 grams of protein? or can protein be concentrated say... to "fit" more protein into 20 grams of powder? basically, how does slow protein work and does it contain more protein in order to acheive its purpose? let me know if some of that is confusing, I'm not quite sure how to ask it. any thoughts are appreciated :D
Some proteins, like whey, are much easier to digest and absorb. They enter the bloodstream much quicker than proteins such as milk and egg protein, so they are often referred to as "fast" proteins. The "slow" proteins are referred to in this manner because they tend to clump together in the stomach and their absorption into the bloodstream is slower. The "fast" proteins are considered anabolic, while "slow" proteins are considered anti-catabolic.

As far as how much is in your protein powder...
20 grams is 20 grams, usually. Some products say that their product has 20 grams of protein, when in reality it may have less. Another thing to consider is how to read labels on your protein cannister. The label may say a serving size is 30 grams which only provides 20 grams of protein. How can 30 grams = 20 grams? Because of fillers like carbs, xantham gum, etc... So, just look at the amount of protein per serving, and the amount of carbs and sodium if you are worried about controlling their intake for any reason.

A good rule of thumb to follow:
"fast" protein pre-workout in order to have amino acids in the bloodstream for use during your workout. "Slow" protein after your workout for a steady delivery of amino acids to aide recuperating muscles. All other protein intake in the day can be from food, but if you need to use shakes, make sure it is a protein blend, not just whey protein alone.

hrmmm ic.. but is it really worth buying slow protein? 20grams doesn't seem a lot if its going to slowly provide you with 20 grams, there are products saying that it'll provide time releaseed proteins i think based on the different types such as whey,casein, etc. its called probolic protein, where it mixes a bunch of junk. Is it worth buying this and depending on 1 dose/shake for your pre and pro workout? some products include Up Your Mass, Probolic SR, all of them contain the probolic protein matrix. What i really want to know is, does this actually work? having time released, a good amount quickly, then slowly, all in 1 mix? i don't know if that makes sense, but help would be nice =)

20grams for preworkout is what i have, and it provides a certain concentration of protein for a short period of time = fast protein

probolic
20grams of protein, im not sure if concentration matters, provides for preworkout fast release, and slow release afterworkouts. does that relaly work efficiently?

If I had to pick between the two, I'd buy slow proteins hands down. Can be used any time, as compared to quick release proteins, which are best pre-workout. Whey protein isolate can have such an impact on insulin that many aren't aware of. That is why people who have a whey only shake with water for a snack tend to get hypoglycemic.

hrmmmm. could you point me in the right direction for information about protein and insulin levels? i've only read that it will lead to higher insulin levels, thus keeping you in a more anabolic state. thats as far as my knowledge goes about it. Are u suggesting not to take whey protein as pre/post workout shakes? i read in another thread where DKM was trying to kill it at once, that he found out that timing the concentration of protein intake will lead to optimizing it's use, i think that means... take it before you workout so u stay anabolic. Can u tell me more about the insulin problems? i sure don't want to all of sudden find out that i'm having problems because of whey protein use. thanks for the help
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (noobie (Posted on Jan. 06 2005 @ 10:31))]
where it mixes a bunch of junk
Beware of JUNK, it can't be good for you. ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]DKM was trying to kill it at once,
Um what?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] that he found out that timing the concentration of protein intake will lead to optimizing it's use
That's what Biz was just elluding too. But I heard he injects Cheddar straight into his veins, takes a real man to handle pinning Cheddar
tounge.gif

Serioulsy Noobie, do a search on Protein and read Bryan's references on Pre Post Nutrition, you'll become quite enlightened.

Back