Should you concentrate while lifting?

Ruhl

If you concentrate while lifting you can get out extra reps before you reach failure but will this fatigue the CNS?

It will and does. It's useful to eek out your maximal days, but you shouldn't try extending beyond the rep set frame. Whether you do that extra rep consecutively, or take a 10-second break and do it again, will not make a big difference in stimulating hypertrophy.

cheers,
Jules

Dear Ruhl,
You should concentrate while lifting whether or not you intend to go to failure.

This is for reasons of safety. Failure or otherwise, make your reps worth your while by performing them with quality form and concentration.

It's strange though, that one might concentrate in order to get more reps before failure. I'd be cheating and not too concerned with feeling it in my muscles if the goal was simply to get more reps for the same weight.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

get your HST plan together, get to the gym and lift the gddmm weights!
it is really so simple.

bye
andré

I've already done a cycle and am in SD now. Please answer the question. By concentrating I don't mean going to failure, I just mean getting more reps before you get to the 2nd last rep before failure.

I don't think the act of concentrating will bring CNS stress - it might even improve coordination and lessen CNS stress from more efficient movement patterns. But if you end up doing more reps, it will put slightly more stress on your CNS - avoiding failure it's not anything to worry about. Stress = cortisol, which is bad for you ;)

Dear Ruhl,

Answering your question: "I've already done a cycle and am in SD now. Please answer the question. By concentrating I don't mean going to failure, I just mean getting more reps before you get to the 2nd last rep before failure."

if I might be so bold, how many more reps are you getting before you reach the 2nd last rep before failure? Does this mean that, if you are doing a 15 rep set, you concentrate to get 18 reps because you feel that by the 19th rep, you will reach failure?

Generally, it is preferred that one abides by the prescribed HST rep scheme although some lifters can and have modified it from the 15,10,5,-VEs pattern.

Because going to failure is something you do only at the end of each rep range cycle, failure really is something I wouldn't be worrying about. Determine your rep maxes for each rep range, then proceed ala HST.

At times, I do know that I have several more reps in me, especially in the early workouts of each rep range but to say I am at my 2nd last rep before failure or anything that specific would be quite hard to ascertain. Rather, I'd follow the guidelines of HST and terminate the set once I have reached the desired rep count.

My only real problem with HST is that the temptation to bust my @$$ on all sets (i.e. repping it out to failure and then some) can get overwhelming, but this stems from pseuo-sadomasochistic no pain no gain nonsense that I had been accustomed to prior to HST. No pain all gain is the rule for HST, but you must follow the HST guidelines.

Don't just re-read Bryan's article on HST. Take a look at the references cited, do a search and read those journal articles if it suits you. By doing so, you will realize HST is not just another sets/reps protocol plucked from the sky, but it is based on science. It is with such deeper understanding of the principles of HST that many and perhaps all curiosities can be satisfied.

You will find many programs that promise you the moon and the stars, and they all come with a money-back guarantee. But how many training programs these days are backed by real research? Adding to that, how many training programs are designed on real science, and is given to us gratis? Only one..... HST.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Back