Weight Gainer Powders

For someone who has a lot of trouble eating enough regular food, or someone who has a very high metabolism I would say its fine. I'd like to see Brian or Lyle's answer on it though. I tend to have a huge appetite but there are some days where I can't think of or afford anything else to eat where this might help me out.

It's not that they are bad per se, it's just that it's a huge waste of money, since you can make them all by yourself by mixing a pure protein powder with extremely cheap dextrose powder.

Plus, there are more efficient ways to increase your caloric intake: Ground flax seed in milk, olive oil in shakes, nuts and everything containing some good fat. Usually weight gainers don't contain much fat so they almost never give more than 400 kcal per 100gr. You can make some healthy, liquid caloric bombs by yourself:

500gr whole milk
50gr chocolate protein powder
50gr honey
25gr olive oil
300gr bananas

This should be about 1000 kcals (70gr protein, 90gr carbs, 40gr fat) and you could drink half of it in the morning and the other in the evening... I could come up with lots of delicious shakes...

As micmic said
Most weight gainers are table sugar and milk powder, plus a little protein.
You can make some great shakes with milk protien icecream adn the likes

If your having trouble eatin enuff, eat high GI, liquid meals etc.
Cut back a bit on the low GI stuff

Back