Ryan Reynolds

Al and Hammer

I watched the extras on the Blade Trinity DVD the other night and it says that Ryan (2 guys a girl - Berg) was about 4% body fat when he finished the movie! I mean yeah the guy looks ripped and all but that cant be healthy can it?
wow.gif

Apparently he'd do like 2 hours in the gym every day starting about 3 months before shooting in order to get to almost the desired physique. Eating every 2 hours (inc. protein shakes).

Heres a question: how could HST be tailored to beat that kind of muscle gain or is just stupid to be on that kind of regime (health wise)?

Reynolds talks about his routine in an issue of Mens Exercise. He attributes most of it to diet, which I would be inclined to agree with. And from what I hear, when cutting, HST really retains the muscle mass. As far as trying to get cut and gain serious muscle mass at the same time, I personally believe it is myth. Maybe possible if your diet and nutrient timing were PERFECT. But I think it much eaiser to just bulk up and then lose the fat. Its like sculpting a statue: make yourself a large block of solid human mass, then chisel away the fat as you see fit.
Also, I am not a fan of the sub 5% bf either because I do not think it healthy, but to each his own.

Never mind the muscle mass loss, few people can do sub-5% without their body going through a self-inflicted version of "andropause." You're going to feel pretty awful.

Best way to get shredded is to do two bouts of 45-60 minutes of steady-state cardio per day. Bike or moderate jog for 20-30 minutes. Then hop on the full-body exerciser (Versaclimber burn rate = 850-1200 cal/hr) for the next 45 minutes or so. Eat generously afterwards. Repeat in the evening. Blissfully ignore the leptin issue and the muscle loss issue.
sad.gif

Do this 5-6x a week.

In 2-3 months, your 12% bodyfat body will be dancing around the 5-7% line. You'll be small, but you'll be shredded. ;)

I couldnt see how he could cut AND gain mass in the way he did. He must have been pretty fit before hand. And I guess at that body fat % ANY muscle is gonna look great.

I'm happy with my routine anyway...trying out a 6x/week one to see what kind of results I get

worship.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (precious_roy @ May 05 2005,9:18)]Reynolds talks about his routine in an issue of Mens Exercise. He attributes most of it to diet, which I would be inclined to agree with.
hehe
4% BF and diet  
laugh.gif

hehe we can say juic.... eeee (fruity) diet

Anther possiblity: was he actually tested for body fat percentage? Sometimes Hollywood exaggerates a little ;)
So maybe he was really 6-7%, still impressive, but not 4%

Dunno. The guy mentioned 3.8% so I guess he's either full of it...or actually whipped out the calipers to get the fractional percentage.

If he hit that bf% without steroids I'd be very, very surprised. An almost definite case of judicious use of "sports medicine."

Ryan Reynolds is naturally quite lean - he started at 11% bodyfat (stretched over a fairly decent sized frame). According to Men's Health, he supposedly dropped down to 3%. However, who knows how accurate that measurement was and how it was determined.

If you watch Blade Trinity closely, you'll see that he isn't all that big. In fact, with his clothes on he looks like a scarecrow. When he does have his shirt off towards the end, he is nicely bronzed, spritzed and in low light with generous shadowing working in his favor. If you had the same team setting you up for a scene like that, you'd probably look pretty good too
tounge.gif

I will say that his diet was reportedly tight and he didn't work out much in the past. Men's health says he gained twenty pounds, but then again he started on creatine too. Here's the link you want to check it out:

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article/0,2823,s1-4-0-0-2190,00.html

Another guy who went through a similar transformation was Thomas Jane who starred in The Punisher. Similar tight diet, rigorous excercise and a big fat paycheck for an incentive. Like Reynolds, Jane got pretty ripped but didn't appear like anything special with his clothes on. He looked buff in shots wearing a tight T-shirt though.

All things considered, I have seen guys cut bodyfat and put on muscle at the same time. The more out of shape someone is, the more dramatic the results naturally. Putting on additional muscle reportedly burns an extra 50 calories/pound/day. Add 10 pounds of muscle, and suddenly you're burning an extra 500 calories a day. I haven't tracked down the reference for this yet, but from what I've seen over the course of 20 years of on-and-off-again lifting, I believe it. Haven't seen anyone get bodybuilder big of course, but I've seen alot of Reynolds and Jane-like transformations (sans roids).

I'm experiencing that right now. In the last two and a half months, I've dropped my bodyfat from 20% to 15% and maintained my weight at 174 pounds. It has been a very noticeable metamorphasis and I've gotten some nice comments at the gym. HST has been key, along with a very tight diet. Additionally, I run twice a week, swim twice a week and mountain bike when I can (training for an Xterra triathlon). I also think my age has something to do with it. When I was younger I couldn't gain muscle without bulking like mad. Among other things, I drank a gallon of milk a day! However, now that I'm 36 my metabolism now drags to the point where 2100 calories a day is working for me.

My progress is slowing, but I think I can eventually get to 10% bodyfat and push to 180'ish. Patience is key.

Maybe I should walk around with a spot lamp and a loud speaker playing my theme music
laugh.gif

He has made quite a change since "2 guys" but I guess that was quite a while ago. It would also be interesting to see him after a few months off the diet - to check what he actually looks like at say 8% bf.

Well, I've put on 20lbs last cycle and Do look better - well I might not be auditioning for Blade 4 as yet - but its my abs that seem to be lacking... Ryans look pretty cool in some shots...but again...in the right light....

I was always around 6% to 8% almost my entire life, and it looked pretty bad, in my opinion... so I can only imagine what 3.8% would really look like on someone who isn't taking a shot in their butt every week. You'd have to be scarecrow thin.

he may have measured 3.8 on an occasion, but it was not accurate. Using skinfolds or BIA on lean people will not work well, hydrostatic is almost as bad, and dexa is about the best you can get at this stage, but still not perfect in a lean person.

Autopsy is the best, but doesnt work too well in live subjects...
laugh.gif

Yeah, he looked pretty darn good in that movie. One thing I find hard to believe is gaining 20 pounds of muscle while loosing bodyfat. He's worked out in the past so it doesn't seem reasonable to have that drastic of results. I thought to myself, no way he agree to take steroids just for a role in a movie, and would someone actually supply it for him. Then again, it's Hollywood so who knows.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rangerbob @ May 06 2005,5:30)]Putting on additional muscle reportedly burns an extra 50 calories/pound/day.  Add 10 pounds of muscle, and suddenly you're burning an extra 500 calories a day.
actually it is closer to 6 cal per pound (for references call Lyle)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm experiencing that right now.  In the last two and a half months, I've dropped my bodyfat from 20% to 15% and maintained my weight at 174 pounds.  
easy part but good work !!
thumbs-up.gif

Back