Will body metabolize EFAs if taken post-workout?

Sure, but they will likely not help much except for repleting intramuscular fat. My guess (big guess) is that it may impede the use of fat from adipose tissue being your body uses blood lipids and adipose tissue as a fuel source post-workout. If you are providing fat through your diet, then you may slow the release of fat from adipose tissue...just a hypothesis. In fact, unless you are an endurance athlete, I doubt the fat would be used to replete intramuscular fat either, cause those are the ones who tend to have more intramuscular fat, not us weightlifters. Stick with your carbs and protein, they do not impede the bodies ability nor desire to use fat as the main energy source post workout.

I always like to get a bit fo fat post workout to slow the absoption of my post workout whey, so I mix it with milk. Also the casein in the milk slows it down some.

And wouldn't carbs be the most preferable source for energy when they are ingested?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And wouldn't carbs be the most preferable source for energy when they are ingested?

Most, if not all, of the carbs ingested will be used to replenish muscle and liver glycogen. They will also ensure the amino acids you ingest will be used for muscle repair and not energy. Your bodyfat will be used to provide energy for your other body functions and increased metabolism, and the ingestion of carbs and protein will not hinder this being they have a different purpose post-workout.

Back