Quality of protein

ajntorinj

I get a lot of my protein from grain sources. I do get them from tuna, turkey, milk etc. but most of it comes from grains, like oatmeal, bread, and bran flakes. I hear that it doesn't matter where you get your proteins, just as long as you get them. Anyway, my gains aren't exactly fantastic, so I am curious if this might be the weak link. Do I need to get more of my protein from animal sources? Thanks.

Look for a thread on this forum called "Protein is Protein" find Blade's post where he has a link to a VAST amount of information on protein.

What I do is try and get at least 15-20g of each of the 6 essential aminos from as many sources as I can. Then I get the rest from whey shakes. Chances are you may not realize you're getting just that already. You'll just have to research which foods contain the most of which aminos. i.e. Oat bran contains alot of methenoin, meat contains tryptophan, beans, peanuts (peanut butter) and other legumes contain lysine, most whey shakes contain alot of the 3 essential branch chain aminos..etc. I seriously recommend you read the article, all 4 parts, its very informative.

Another factor to consider is what percentage of your caloric intake is protein, carbs and fats. I would bet that if the majority of your proteins are coming from grains, you are probably ingesting well over 50% of your calories from carbs.

Everyone is different, but most bodybulding diets stress a fairly high protein intake. To increase your protein percentage, one must decrease the fat and carb percentages. This alone would necessitate a shift from grain-based proteins to animal ones.

Unfortunately job561, percentages make little difference in reality. Why? because % dont compare anything to bodyweight or requirements ie 30% protein of a 1500kcal diet, or 30% of a 3000kcal diet are two different things. Intake of protein (and carbs) should really be adjusted for bodyweight.
The most important thing for him to be doing is getting at around 1g/lb protein. THere is little research showing vegetarian diets not providing any muscle growth compared to isocaloric isoprotein animal based diets, but there are also some showing no difference.
The remainder of energy should be split as you like between fat and carbs. Obviously you enjoy grains and the like, just make sure you are getting at least 20% energy from fat.
If you are not gaining fat or muscle, eat more.
Do you could calories? as total energy intake is VERY important for overall gains, dont let your 'hunger' decide what or when to eat, because that can lead to eating too little (or too much).

Back