Eat Fat or skip meal ?

Louno

Hi,
Now that i workout im trying to have a clean diet ( lots of protein, good fats, slow carbs etc ) but its not always easy,
sometimes i dont eat much during the day because i skip some meals for different reason.
Im wondering if its better to skip a meal that has alot of fat/carbs and low protein or not eat at all ... usualy what i do is not eat and then as soon as i can get something good to eat, but its not always easy and sometimes because of that i end up eating way less that im supposed to, it could be for all kind of different reason, like if im at a friends house, im not gonna tell the people there to cook me some chicken or i wont eat, so if they make something really full of fat im going to say either that i ate already or something and TRY to make up for it later (try bcuz i dont always have the opportunity)

so basicaly if i know that im under maintenance calories, should i Take the meal anyways regardeless of its "cleaneness" ?

Another example : Im going to a all inclusive 2 week trip to cuba in 2 days, im gonna bring some protein powder but i bet that not all meal are going to be clean... eat or skip ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so basicaly if i know that im under maintenance calories, should i Take the meal anyways regardeless of its "cleaneness" ?

it's better to eat than not to eat so you can keep your metabolism up and get those calories in... it is better if you have some extra fat (not necessarily a bad thing) or junk carbs than not eating at all because limiting yourself from those calories will hurt your gains. I mean, if you have the option of a healthier more-protein-loaded food, than by all means go for it, but you still need to eat!

-Colby

Personally, I don't think "eating clean" is worth it if it means not getting enough calories. Eat the "dirty" meal, then rearrange your diet later to make up for it.

Man, this sucks, i should have known this before. it would have made my life much easier...
So its better to eat AT maintenance using junk food or whatever means you have at hand to reach ure maintenance level ( junk food etc ) Instead of skipping and be under maintenance...
And when going over maintenance you should try to eat more clean ( no junk food, candy etc, more proteins and slow carbs etc )
this is correct ?

yeah I'd say so... you need the calories and protein in your diet to build muscle... if eating healthy when with friends or family is such a problem (then eat before you go out or bring something such as fruit or protein bars)

PRECEDE WITH CAUTION *DEDICATION NEEDED*

Pre plan your daily calorie intake, meals, and everything, the night or even weeks(in your case of vacation) before. Don't be a punk, just pre plan everything. I carry a lunch box to my friends house if I'm going to be there for an hour, or 24. I'll pack a whole days worth of good food. It takes a little time, but if your serious about gaining muscle, why not do this. It takes some time, but it is beneficial in the big picture of things. AND...if your friend was a good friend , he'd make you that darn chicken upon your request! Also, at the end of the day, you will feel good about getting the nutrition aspect of bodybuilding down pat.
happy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wrestlingmark @ Aug. 10 2005,1:06)]PRECEDE WITH CAUTION *DEDICATION NEEDED*
Pre plan your daily calorie intake, meals, and everything, the night or even weeks(in your case of vacation) before. Don't be a punk, just pre plan everything. I carry a lunch box to my friends house if I'm going to be there for an hour, or 24. I'll pack a whole days worth of good food. It takes a little time, but if your serious about gaining muscle, why not do this. It takes some time, but it is beneficial in the big picture of things. AND...if your friend was a good friend , he'd make you that darn chicken upon your request! Also, at the end of the day, you will feel good about getting the nutrition aspect of bodybuilding down pat.
happy.gif

That just give you an ulcer.

As with everything dont overdo it. Eat healthy, eat enough and if you are bulking pamper yourself from time to time but as i said dont overdo it. So eat that big kahuna burger and be happy
tounge.gif

LOL Define 'Junk Food' !
I work in a mall and often only have time to hit the food court or the local Jack in the Box, I know I know...but Im a skinny bastard to begin with.
When I think junk food I think of stuff with the macro nutrient ratios off....Too many carbs (and what type), or not enuf protein (is it highly processed?), high sodium (its not a macro but still), excessive fat (I burn fat like a furnace), ect.
Whats all of ya'lls definition of Junk Food?
Sphinx.

Hey there,as far as your question about eating dirty or not eating at all: Skipping meals entirely slows the metabolism and brings on catabolism and more efficient fat storage, so its never good. Just keep in mind the lower quality of the food, and dont eat so much of it as you would "clean" food, but stoke the furnace with a little protein even if it is sub par,and make up for it later with quality food.
 As for the question as to what is Junk food: I think we all have some basic idea of what that is. Saturated fats,refined carbs,any refined sugars, and aything "hydrogenated" are all !!@#$%. As far as the finer points,like protein bio-availability, lypogenic effect of fats, glycemic index of carbs, etc. that all depends on each person's personal standards. Whether you put 89 or 91 octane gas into the tank.(LOL) But a good rule of thumb seems to be that the closer it is to its original form the better. The less humans have messed with it the healthier it is. We really cant improved on the way God designed most stuff.
 Hope this helps,just my opinions, and opinions are always worth just what you pay for them(lol).
As for working in a mall, or being out and about, Im one of the lunchbox crowd too. Even if it just amounts to a couple of cans of tuna and some whole wheat bread and apples or something, its really not all that hard to keep a good high quality snack or two on hand. I work in a prison so there is never any "clean" food available, the aim there is to keep them carbed up so the state doesnt get sued for underfeeding. Besides after a while you will be "that guy" who people know watches what he eats which just makes it that much easier to keep it up.

Back