On my last bulking cycles I used myself as a ginny

VIPER

This is extremely exciting or anything, but was interesting to me. I remember reading the FAQ's a while ago about the amount protein a person should consume to build muscle(title is Diet and Nutrition). I decided that I was going to try to figure out if I could gain a considerable amount of muscle using a lower consuption of protein in my diet, yet keep the calories high enough to gain weight. I started bulking at roughly 170#'s at kept my protein at about 100 grams a day. For last two cycles I have been gaining just as much muscle and weight as my bulks before. I did 4 months of bulking and decided to do another 6 week cycle after that. So, almost half a year of bulking. This last 6 weeks have been practically a waist, since I only gained 1/8'' on most places (less on some muscle groups). I just haven't been eating enough, plain and simple. Overall in that time frame I put on a little over 1'' on my arms. I still have to measure chest and legs, etc. I got up to 194#'s, and believe I may have been able to gain more mass using the same protein intake, as long as I keep increasing calories. Eventually though, I will have to raise the protein. I plan on loose some fat very soon, because I don't look pleasing in the mirror IMO. I got to be pushing roughly 15% bodyfat know.

Interesting VIPER... I've actually thought about doing the same type of experiment on myself.

One question: how was the quality of the protein when you reduced it? If I recall correctly, the quality of protein doesn't matter when you are getting 1g/lbs. So wouldn't that mean you could consume less protein as long as the qulity is higher? Is that basically what you did?

Also, any idea where the extra calories went if it wasn't to protein? Carbs, fat or a split between the two?

I did notice that I grow with a bit less than 3/4 (BW) of protein. So I usually aim for about 3/4 of my BW. But your 100/170 ratio is even less than that -- not even 2/3!

Viper, how did you calculate your daily protein intake? Fitday?
Where does your protein come from?

i.

To tell you the truth, I really didn't change what sources the protein came from. The protein I consumed was from milk,chicken, turkey, and sometimes beef.

The calories loss from reducing the protein were made up by adding more carbs to my diet.

I never really use fitday or anything, but may try that out. I just go by labels, and track it by memory as the day goes on.

So they were all high quality sources... that makes sense.

Yeah, I've become more lax on the tracking as well. This last bulking cycle I did totally by feel.... If I didn't put a pound on after a while I'd just start eating more... Hoping to continue this after sd. Only downside is my protein was like almost 100 grams over what it should have been.

Yeah, sometimes it's irritating eating the way your supposed like protein, EFA's and such, but don't eat enough calories to gain weight.

I feel the urge to try protein cycling now
butbut.gif

Three weeks of ~50g a day, then 3 weeks of ~250g a day. Hmmmmmm...

Haha. Yeah I just thought of it one day because I was running low on money, and the meat was scarce in the house. So, I figured I would be able to still eat a good amount of protein, although not as high as before, and fill in the rest of the calories with carbs which are all around my house. I'm italian :D.

I'm sure most people thought that my protein consumption was wrong because I don't write it down, or plug it into a program, but it's right.

Back