cutting diet plateu

skinnyman

how long does it take for the body to adjust to the caloric deficit and eventually stop losing fat? i've been in a cutting diet for 6 weeks. it seems i've hit a wall. i don't know.. i'm confused!!
crazy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ Oct. 27 2005,2:43)]Either up your caloric output, or decrease your caloric intake. Simple as that.
What about using refeeds to bump up your metabolism? After cutting for a while, your metabolism slows down greatly so that even if your daily caloric intake is very low, you won't lose any more weight. I agree with your statement, a.k.a. calories in vs. calories out, but aren't refeeds a useful way to increase your caloric expenditure from super-low levels to more normal levels, getting you out of a fat-burning rut and helping you to continue losing fat?

I think after an extended cutting period, the best thing you can do is take a week or so off. Maybe longer, up to two weeks maybe? I don't know, but continually trying to cut calories further to keep up with metabolic slowdown is a losing battle, unless you like sacrificing muscle.

i've been on a 500 calorie deficit for 6 weeks now.
so with the stuff you guys said, i should
1.take an "SD" and eat at maintainance for a week and
when i start cutting again..
2. do refeeds
is that it? :)

or shall i

build-up some muscle first (HST style, +500 cals) before cutting down again

[b said:
Quote[/b] (savagebeast @ Oct. 27 2005,7:47)]What about using refeeds to bump up your metabolism?  After cutting for a while, your metabolism slows down greatly so that even if your daily caloric intake is very low, you won't lose any more weight.  I agree with your statement, a.k.a. calories in vs. calories out, but aren't refeeds a useful way to increase your caloric expenditure from super-low levels to more normal levels, getting you out of a fat-burning rut and helping you to continue losing fat?
I have always approached cutting (while HSTing that is) in the same fashion as Totentanz just suggested. I will dedicate as many cycles to dropping bf as needed, but will never keep extending a caloric deficit week after week, in fear that I could lose too much lean mass. But in reference to using refeeds, they may work and work well, but one of the main goals of using refeeds is to cut calories pretty drastically for a period of time, then increase them using a carb load. Granted, aside from creating a deficit, lots of other neat little tricks take place, but cutting calories and going hungry for awhile plays a big part.

Like what Totentanz and baby a said cutting for a long time can turn into a lost cause, I think this also applies to bulking for an extended period of time. I believe this is because of the bodies "Set point" which is an ideal body weight for each individual.

Your body tries to keep you balanced around a set point. LEPTIN is a hormone that is produced by fat tissue and plays a role in the regulation of body weight. If we loose too much weight leptin signals we are starving. Gaining too much, leptin increases metabolism. This is sort of like an internal alarm in our bodies.

The trouble is our bodies dont understand that we want to get heavier or leaner somtimes!

The refeeds that were discussed can also be done in reverse to help in bulking stagnation as well right?

I see these strategies as ways to "trick" Leptin.

Joe G

The other problems with refeeds is they do not instantaneously up your metabolism. It may take days to weeks to get the BMR back up.

This is one reason why I personally think cutting without some sort of exercise isn't the best way to go about it. Your BMR slows down moreso than without exercise and then when you start refeeding again since your BMR is lowered and your energy needs are as well so rebound adipose is more apt to happen. Granted this is simplistic and not all encompassing, other factors can and do apply.

Leptin is very responsive to glucose, FFA (although some sources say n-3 or other PUFA downregulate Leptin levels), and insulin (somewhat). So if you are concerned about Leptin levels and want to refeed to reset these, carbs are a good choice.

Another obvious way to help cutting would be to do some low intensity cardio on the days your not weight training.

Joe G

Also once a week boost up your metabolism by eating plenty over your maintanance. But it doesnt mean eating 4 pizzas and 20 gallons of soda
tounge.gif

hey guys, i'm on a cutting cycle again because summer is near!! anyway, i need critique on my plan:
500 cal deficit (my body weight in lbs x 13 - 500)
and refeeds on weekends.

my questions are:
1) do i eat at maintenance during the refeeds? or still in a caloric deficit but most of the cals will come from carbs?
2) how can i make sure my glycogen storage is depleted before doing my fat burning HIIT cardio hell blazing sweat drenching exercise?
3)can i drink protein shake before doing cardio?

thanks for any response :)
my goal is 6-7% bf :)

Not too sure on how to answer your 2nd question, but I can give you my two cents on the others. Cutting or bulking, I would still eat the same everyday whether or not I am working out. I look at my caloric balance at a weekly point of view though. If you are doing your cardio after your WO, and if that [cardio] session is long, I would drink a small protein shake before. Just watch out you don't puke!

Back