Weight loss plateau/minimal results

mport1

I have been on a cutting phase for about 6 weeks now, and I was not able to lose as much weight as I had hoped.  I am now about 132 pounds (5'5'' ) and started at about 138-140 pounds.  I started at 12-13% body fat and I am now at 8%.  I dropped a little, stayed at the same weight for a few weeks, but recently I was able to drop a few pounds.  Here was what I did:
I was doing 5-6 times a week cardio, with 1-2 days of steady state (45-60 minutes) and 4-5 days of HIIT (20 minutes with intervals of 1 minute jogging pace and 30 seconds sprinting).  These cardio sessions were performed on a stationary bike since I am unable to do running well because it hurts my legs.
I was weightlifting 3 times a week working everything but legs (I am unable to do a good cardio session if I work out my legs), so an upper-body split pretty much.
For diet, I was keeping carbs relatively low and protein high.  I ate about 5 meals a day with snacks interspersed (which consisted of almonds, healthy trail mix, beef jerky, fruit, fat free Jell-O, etc.).  The first meal being a bowl of Kashi Go Lean cereal, 3-4 meals were salads, and one meal was a turkey sandwich.  My supplements were 3 scoops a day of whey, kre-alkalyn creatine, and a multivitamin.
My salads contained variations of corn, mushrooms, tomatoes, either artichokes, olives, and always either tuna fish or grilled chicken.
My turkey sandwiches are just with meat, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, and mustard.
My only cheat was alcohol (and I really mean my only cheat) which I know had an effect on my progress, but I don't think it was the root of it.  For 3 of the weeks I was usually drinking about 3 times a week (8 to 10 drinks a night), and for the other 2 weeks, I was drinking about 2 times a week.
I am going to start a bulk now, however, I was wondering if anybody had any advice for me for the next time I cut?

Were you counting calories? Instead of doing so much cardio, I would suggest keeping cardio at two or three sessions a week of whichever variety you prefer, and instead increase weight lifting sessions to five days a week. You only need to do one set of each lift, perhaps six lifts that hit the whole body. Keep counting calories - remember that while cutting is the one time where counting calories is pretty much necessary to see good results.

Weight lifting boosts the metabolism more than cardio does, so doing a fullbody exercise everyday will help you burn more calories overall than cardio would.
Also remember that you need to adjust your calorie intake as you continue to lose weight. Obviously if your maintenance is 3000 calories and then you drop five pounds, your maintenance is going to drop as well.

Finally, after six weeks of heavy dieting, it is usually a good idea to take at least a week and eat at maintenance, continue working out and doing cardio. Once you've taken a week or two at maintenance, begin cutting calories back again.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">For 3 of the weeks I was usually drinking about 3 times a week (8 to 10 drinks a night), and for the other 2 weeks, I was drinking about 2 times a week.</div>

mport1 I hope your in college lol. If you are I see where your comin from. In addition to what totentanz said I was thinking myself your calories might be high especially for a 132 lb guy. If I were you I would eat less, train more with the weights, and only do cardio on the days after you drink to make up for those extra calories that were in those booze.

Joe G

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I started at 12-13% body fat and I am now at 8%.</div>

While losing 6 lbs... I would be ecstatic. I am currently cutting (starting my 4th cycle next week) and my goal is 8% - at 12% right now. Hopefully I can put myself on track and get ahead of the curve as it is my goal to be at 8% by August. I will echo what the guys said and put a vote in for increased frequency of lifting.

Back