Health risks

sam

For about 1.5 years now I have been using protein and carb supplements right after I work out.

Now for the past month I have increased everything as well as taking vitamins and creatine (no more than the recommended doses).

The problem is, in the past month I have had a little fever 4 times (about every week), and in addition i've had pains in my chest and legs and cramping.

I went to the doctor today and she said I should stop taking any supplements for a couple of months to see if they're the problem. If they're not the problem then we'll do tests.

Has anybody had any similar problems with this? Are there health risks involved with e.g.too much protein in diet??(although I have only took the recommended amounts.)

Help appreciated!

p.s. can I eat naturally and still use HST principles or do I have to change my training program now that I can't eat supplements? Any tips?

Ok im no expert,
but if the problem comes from the supplements ure taking, id say its probably the creatine,
i know that one of the side effects of creatine if its taken inproperly (too much of it or not well mixed or dont drink enough water during the day,etc... ) it can cause some cramps and stuff...

proteins shouldnt be a problem, its food... vitamins shouldnt be a problem either...

Since the cramping began occuring only after you began taking the creatine, it would seem that that would be the logical cause of your problem.
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1999/05_99/juhn.htm
"Muscle cramping. It is common to hear reports from athletic trainers about muscle cramping or strains in athletes taking creatine. Since water retention occurs with creatine supplementation (12,13), it is speculated that this effect increases skeletal muscle compartment pressure, leading to the risk of muscle dysfunction."

I would still follow's the doctor's orders though... I've never heard of a fever resulting from creatine, so you might have something else wrong with you... :confused:

Was just doing some more reading and found this regarding protein supplementation:
http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Weight_Room/supplements.htm

"There is one amino acid supplement to avoid, L-Tryptophan. This essential amino acid, when used in too high a volume can result in a condition known as eosinophilia myalgia syndrome. This syndrome is a fatal blood disorder with symptoms of fever, joint pain, skin rash, and death."

I searched through a few whey supplements and some of them had this amino acid. Guess its one more thing for me to be afraid of
crazy.gif

every whey protein has tryptophan. Every complete protein has it. I promise it won't kill you (unless it's a contaminated batch like a couple of years ago).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (magneto576 @ Jan. 26 2005,8:58)]Was just doing some more reading and found this regarding protein supplementation:
http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Weight_Room/supplements.htm
"There is one amino acid supplement to avoid, L-Tryptophan. This essential amino acid, when used in too high a volume can result in a condition known as eosinophilia myalgia syndrome. This syndrome is a fatal blood disorder with symptoms of fever, joint pain, skin rash, and death."
that website is retarded if it doesnt understand the difference between the effect of an essential amino acid, and a contaminant within the product made from the essentail amino acid...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would still follow's the doctor's orders though... I've never heard of a fever resulting from creatine, so you might have something else wrong with you...
If the cramping is occuring due to an imabalnce in inter to intra cellular water, there could potentially be a compromised heat maintenance within the body, resulting in fever.. it seems very unlikely seeing as the level of side effects from the clinicals on creatine are very very small.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]p.s. can I eat naturally and still use HST principles or do I have to change my training program now that I can't eat supplements? Any tips?

In a word, yes- you can still use HST and eat naturally (I'm assuming by that you mean you'll drop the supps).

I know creatine caused muscle cramps for me when I took it a couple of years ago. I even had a muscle tear while using it, which is the only injury I've ever had while working out. I had no cramping or any other problems before using it and have had no problems since I stopped using it. I even made sure I was drinking more water while using it. I never experienced a fever though.

If you ever experience anything abnormal such as you describe, you should always drop the supplements and see if it clears up. Sometimes it could be a bad supplement, other times it could be an allergic reaction to a good supplement. Either way, the only way to know is to remove them from the picture and then if the symptoms subside, you know it was something you were taking.

If it is a supplement, take each one by itself and see what happens. You should be able to identify whats causing the problem.

And yes, HST is about training, not diet. You can use HST on any eating regimen you like. HSN is about diet but that's a different topic.

<span style='color:red'>Howdy
As Brian recommended
It could be a multitude of things that would cause your
fevers including pollen and cat dander .
But lets rule those things out and stick to the supplements.
I have a allergy to Iodine and it is very hard to find
any multi vitamin that does not contain it .
I experience a low grade fever along with a very mild inching when I take a vitamin that includes it .
Hence, If I were you I would discontinue the multi vitamins first, because they have so many ingredients in them and one of them maybe your problem .
If after a while it still persists drop something else until the condition is gone.
I you have an adequate diet, then most of the supplements become unnecessary anyway.
I has been said” Americans have the most expensive urine in the world “
Thanks
Sonny</span>

Back