1 day of rest

• Thread starter imported_fearofthedark
  • Start date
I

imported_fearofthedark

I find myself unable to perform this routine with only a day of rest. To me, long term commitment to weight training is extremely important and i find that 2 days of rest better suits me for long term commitment.

I take the HST routine and split it in half. I do the first half day 1, the 2nd half day 2 and take the 3rd day off and repeat. I also add 1 more set to every body part to compensate for taking more rest off.

Is this still frequent enough or is it very important to only have that 1 day of rest. Thank you

the reason for 1 day of rest is to keep within the 48 hour period of upped muscle anabolism, i think that includes protein synthesis, metabolism and other junk. After 48 the effects will taper off, but they are still there. So as long as you keep following the concepts of higher freq, consistent incrementing, SD and so on, you will be fine. I've stuck with HST for at least a year now and i don't see myself lettin it go in the long term. The high freq keeps me busy and pumped. But if it's a problem, read around the forum with what other people are doing to compensate for fatigue.

It's up to you if you think it's freq enough. volume is not that important since with HST the freq is higher(provides more hypertrophy than soooped up volume). I think those are about right.

pzhang

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fearofthedark @ Aug. 21 2005,12:47)]I take the HST routine and split it in half. I do the first half day 1, the 2nd half day 2 and take the 3rd day off and repeat. I also add 1 more set to every body part to compensate for taking more rest off.
Hi there,

I'm a little confused, your routine means that you're going to the gym 4-5 times a week whereas with the basic HST programme you'll only be going 3 times....I realise that each muscle group gets 2 days of rest but I would have thought just going to the gym 3 times would be easier.

If you don't feel ready to work a muscle after only 48 hours rest it might have something to do with the number of exercises and/or sets you do per bodypart or if you're going to close to failure on a regular basis. I do an all over body routine 6x a week (some people do 12x) and have no problems even in the post 5s...then again everyone's different and if its a major issue then you need to do what works for you and keeps you committed to the gym.

Cheers

Rob

You need to be in better condition in order to be able to train your entire body every other day. The whole idea behind HST is to train frequently. Well, that's one of the ideas, anyway. Don't manipulate it and train each bodypart less frequently than thrice a week.

If you're finding your training sessions too draining, you may want to decrease the volume, either through the number of sets, or the amount of exercises done.

You guys are absolutley right. I had left another thread wondering if i should just do the sample routine that Mr. Haycock has created in the articles section of the website. I'm just going to do that routine and stop tweaking it. Physiologists might have more of a right to tweak it, but not me! Thanks

I did the basic routine and gained 15 pounds the first cycle. I did full body MWF with squats, bench, bent row, chins, dips, press, BB curl. I alternated the dips and chins with the bench and row and did 1x15, 2x10 and 3x5.

You did the routine specified in the articles section youre saying?

Back