1 - Ton hooks

Fausto

HST Expert
Hey all

I have seen these before and they seem rather usefull for those of us who aspire to do some heavy tonnage.

Anyone used them? Are they worth it at 49 USD?

Here's the link : 1Ton Hooks

Hooks and straps have their place. Sometimes your grip strength isn't up to what your legs and butt can do, so they can be helpful in those situations.

In my opinion, hooks are pieces of crap. I bet you'll never see a heavy deadlifter wearing those things (powerlifter or bodybuilder), unless they are modeling them for some company.

<div>
(stevejones @ Jul. 25 2006,18:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In my opinion, hooks are pieces of crap.  I bet you'll never see a heavy deadlifter wearing those things (powerlifter or bodybuilder), unless they are modeling them for some company.</div>
Never tried hooks myself, just straps. They're cheaper and serve the same purpose.

<div>
(mikeynov @ Jul. 29 2006,21:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have a pair of those hooks, they're terrible.</div>
Seconded.

Although to be fair, as far as hooks go these must be among the best, very robust etc.

It's just that I found using them no help whatsoever, couldn't lift a thing.

So anyone who does like hooks will probably find these great, otherwise don't bother.

Cheers

Rob

Seems like it is not worth it hey, can Pete Cisco actually promote good stuff at the end of the day?

Sorry I started the thread
blush.gif
but I honestly was curious
tounge.gif

While most of the things Mr Sisco promotes are a waste, I have a pair or these hooks and use them all the time. They are made much better than typical 'hooks'. They make the amount of weight I can use for exercises like dead-lifts, shrugs and rows much greater and less limited by grip strength (and with much better form because I'm not fighting with my grip to get the reps out).

There are a couple of things you should be aware of though:

1.   If you have small wrists, the cuffs will side down, making them useless. A wrap around the wrist will prevent this from happening. I use weight lifting gloves with a long wrist wrap (Harbinger). Then the hook cuff is positioned about half on my arm and half on the wrist wrap. It won't slide down with this configuration.

2.  The 'hook' part can be turned around, so that your fingers go over the hook rather than under it (if that makes sense). This is the most stable positon.

One other thing I'd like to add:

I had a problem with stitching on the first pair I had. I sent an email to the gentleman who sells these hooks and he was genuinely concerned that he might have an issue, so he ask me to return the hooks (at his expense) so he could see what the problem was. He also sent me a new pair with reinforced stitching. This new pair had a similar problem and he sent me a third, even more improved pair. This pair hasn't had the same problem.
This I consider customer service much above the norm.

Anthony

Well, well well

Do we have some contradicction or what? Seems like they can be useful after all, hey?

Maybe some  of the guys who tried them just did not know these tricks
laugh.gif
thanks Anthony.

However I doubt it wheather I could get the same customer service from all the way in South Africa?  
rock.gif

Good though...good!

I used forward weight lifting hooks from prowriststraps.com (See Here), and, as previously stated, they sucked.  Maybe reverse grip hooks work better.  

Anyway, with a little bit of grip training, you shouldn't need straps or hooks, except on very heavy shrugs.  My grip used to fail at about 550lbs on deads, so I started squeezing captains of crush and heavy grips three times a week.  Also practiced with static holds, which increase grip strength dramatically.  My grip isn't even an issue with weights all the way up to 800 lbs now.   My back/biceps/traps give out before forearms now.  Both static holds and grippers work great, but I think static holds are probably the best thing you can do to help your forearms hold onto the bar.

Back