10x-12x HST

jimjones

I was wondering what the pros and cons were of 10x - 12x HST. I did a search, but the best i came up with was to increase the summation effect. I am also not clear on what the summation effect is (increase total work on the muscles over time?) and why it is desirable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

temporarily higher test levels
you can have more load due to better managed CNS (this is a big one)

AND SOME things I pulled from pimp my HST

more acute effects of loading per set
increasing volume or frequency will make your sets more amendable to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (not to sure what this means)
better nutrition partitioning
less wasted calories from diet and efficient upload of glycogen

More frequency can lead to better management of fatigue while keeping total volume per week (or whatever time period you want to measure) high.

Pros

Summation effect - protein synthesis levels are elevated after resistance exercise, and can be elevated further (summation) if you workout again whilst they remain elevated.

Nutrient partioning - more of your cals will go towards building muscle and glycogen replenishment rather than fat storage. The significance of this is debated (i.e. the magnitude of partioning).

Same volume spread out over more workout = less fatigue as the result of individual workouts.

Cons

Strength loss - you may not be able to maintain your xxRM strength levels, probably an increment or two lower. This is probably dependent on the volume per session - keep it to one set and I doubt you'll notice this. Two sets almost certainly when you hit the 5s.

Depending on your body, age etc, some people report this is murder on the joints. I actually felt fine.

thanks for the information. You guys have been a great help! Thanks!

one more thing, what phase would you say that this is most desired/effective?

during the 5s and post 5s because the metabolic fatigue is low during that time. also because you have less tut during the 5s it is easier to manage high freq unlike if you were doing high freq with the 15s where tut is much higher = more fatigue = more susceptible to burnout and inability to complete next workout.

Oh and the last point to add is that you will have to eat your a$$ off if you want high frequency to work. It's difficult to judge how much more, but you'll def. need to increase kcals by about 500 a day, on top of your normal workout intake that is.

I'd like to second what Jester said. I'm having a hard time getting in enough calories when I use high frequency. You'll have to eat more than what you are used to. This is the reason I believe high frequency is a valuable tool when trying to cut (especially with no/light cardio).

I'm going to third that. In fact, I think that if you are cutting using twice a day training 5-7 days a week, you will probably not want to cut calories at all. Eating under maintenance may not provide you with enough energy to workout, and I think that working out that frequently will create enough of a calorie deficit anyway that you should not have to create a deficit through diet.

Back