15 10 5's

andrew123

can you use 15 10 and 5's all in 1week. so you would set up a 6week phase using 15's on mon 10's on weds and 5's on fri building up over 6weeks to your goal weights on the last week. would this routine work?

it would proberbly work to a degree like most training routines but you wouldnt gain the full effects of progressive load.i did some thing like this when i first started hst and it worked quite well due to incorperating the different rep ranges but its not nearly as effective as the standard hst routine.

The problem with that setup is that you are losing the sight of what progressive load is all about. This would give you huge zig-zags every week and not the constantly growing load week in and week out.

I've wondered someting similar. Start like 60lbs lower than your max for each of the 4 rep patterns 15,10,5,2.

Do one set of each in each workout - increasing by 5lbs each time.

Like this:
Warmup 100x10
Acclimation 120x5
Workout
140x15
160x10
180x5
200x2
Next time repeat but with 5more lbs
Do this and get 12 weeks getting a pretty harsh workout for the whole body.

Probably not a good idea, just one of those random things that goes through my head sometimes.

I think this would be pretty good for building strength, and the load would progress over the weeks, so there would be some hypertrophy too, but it's not hypertrophy specific. So size gains wouldn't be maximized in this program.

<div>
(andrew123 @ Aug. 27 2006,05:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">can you use 15 10 and 5's all in 1week. so you would set up a 6week phase using 15's on mon 10's on weds and 5's on fri building up over 6weeks to your goal weights on the last week. would this routine work?</div>
Hi Andrew123,
I did EXACTLY this after my last HST cycle. It was sort of an extension of my post 5's. I used it to keep increasing &amp; tweaking my max's in each rep range. What I saw was constant increases in strength &amp; &quot;no more size gains&quot; even though I was still eating like a horse. This to me in the end was an experiment to see if I could switch things up &amp; keep the gains coming, but strength was the result. What was nice is that once I started this program, Mon &amp; Wed were a welcome relief from the heavy weights I had been dealing with in the 5's.

The fact that I was working at my max's each day &amp; not making significant weight increase to keep the load progressing might by why it turned into a strength program rather than hypertrophy program.

That said, if I started it from the beginning, rather than an extension on my HST routine, may be size gains could have been seen...I don't know.

I have a thread somewhere on this , but I can't find it at the moment
sad.gif

O

PS, I intend on doing it again to extend my current HST cycle to see I would get further strength gains a second time around.

Its not HST.

But it can be productive.

Chad Waterbury programs are set up like that.

It most likely is not the best way for size gains...HST is the best way.

However its fun and keeps things from being so boring so try it out if you like.

But hst is the proven best method!

Back