15s are great for preventing injury

I

imported_domineaux

Let me encourage anyone thinking of taking on the HST training...to really give it some thought.

I've been doing HST almost 2 years now.

Sadly, I've had difficulty maintaing a strict training. Frequently, I have no availability to a weight gym for months on end.

I just got back into town after 1-1/2 month layoff. I was in the second cycle of of tens when I left. I was lifting heavier than ever before and my gains were good when I had to stop.

Monday I'll start back in the 15s and hopefully I'll get off a full cycle over the next couple of months without interruption.

HST has been a good program, because I'll be back loading heavier soon enough...without injury.

The 15s cycle of HST has been awesome as far as prevention of injuries. I haven't had an injury in over a year now.

I'm not even concerned after such long periods of layoffs, because the 15s prepare me so well. I'll be lifting heavy in the 10s and 5s right after I finish two weeks of 15s.

I'm excited to train, especially knowing after such a long period of no training I'll be back on track within just a few weeks.

<div>
(domineaux @ Aug. 19 2006,21:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Let me encourage anyone thinking of taking on the HST training...to really give it some thought.

I've been doing HST almost 2 years now.

Sadly, I've had difficulty maintaing a strict training.  Frequently, I have no availability to a weight gym for months on end.

I just got back into town after 1-1/2 month layoff.  I was in the second cycle of of tens when I left. I was lifting heavier than ever before and my gains were good when I had to stop.  

Monday I'll start back in the 15s and hopefully I'll get off a full cycle over the next couple of months without interruption.  

HST has been a good program, because I'll be back loading heavier soon enough...without injury.

The 15s cycle of HST has been awesome as far as prevention of injuries.  I haven't had an injury in over a year now.

I'm not even concerned after such long periods of layoffs, because the 15s prepare me so well.  I'll be lifting heavy in the 10s and 5s right after I finish two weeks of 15s.

I'm excited to train, especially knowing after such a long period of no training I'll be back on track within just a few weeks.</div>
you have a positive attitude! good luck.

And thank god for muscle memory,it all comes back pretty quick.

<div>
(domineaux @ Aug. 19 2006,21:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm not even concerned after such long periods of layoffs, because the 15s prepare me so well.  I'll be lifting heavy in the 10s and 5s right after I finish two weeks of 15s.</div>
Thats one thing that attracted me to HST, since I was coming back after a years-long layoff.  The 15's helped me tremendously, since alot of the comeback involved neural re-education, gettin into the &quot;groove&quot; of each movement.

That said, I STILL got injured during the 5's.  I was doing too many sets, and my right shoulder got real sore.  Its better after 2 weeks of SD, but I am going to extend my SD by a week, or, GULP, two, if I must.

Shoulder is still slightly sore in some ranges of motion, but I am tempted to start another cycle now anyways with 2 weeks of 15's, because at this time, I think it might actually do my shoulder some good.. hmmmm....

It sounds more like an old injury resurfacing than a new one. Unfortunately, muscles and tendons both have memories. You might want to consider an extra 2 weeks of SD, or just working the lower body for 2 weeks, and then doing an HST cycle of 15, 12, 10 and 8 reps and gain some of your strength back before pounding that shoulder with 5's again. Anyway, stay away from failure. As soon as your tempo becomes compromised, stop your reps or you may re-injury.

Good luck!

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Aug. 21 2006,13:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It sounds more like an old injury resurfacing than a new one. Unfortunately, muscles and tendons both have memories. You might want to consider an extra 2 weeks of SD, or just working the lower body for 2 weeks, and then doing an HST cycle of 15, 12, 10 and 8 reps and gain some of your strength back before pounding that shoulder with 5's again. Anyway, stay away from failure. As soon as your tempo becomes compromised, stop your reps or you may re-injury.

Good luck!</div>
I've been SD for the past 1-1/2 months LOL

I started the 15s this morning.  The workout felt good and I didn't have to drop back as far on the weights per exercise as I thought I would.

Lifting to failure is never an option.  Learned that a while back...the hard way.

Fives/sixes are at least a month away.  I'll be putting down the supplements heavier than usual prior to doing fives/sixes.

I'll know if I can handle the 5s, because my workouts really are tuned to my recovery.

My method of madness/Upper body:

Workout 1 hour to 1-1/4 hour maximum.  I do 2 sets of reps through the 10s with 1 minute recovery maximums  between sets.  I do 3 minute recovery maximums between exercise changes.  

During the 5s/6s I do 3 sets with 1 minute recovery maximum between sets, and 3 minute recovery maximum between exercise changes.

Lower body I do the same workouts, but I stay with 15 reps throughout the entire cycle.(15/10/5s)  My legs just take a lot of hard work at more reps to get results.

If I cannot sustain the above workouts before I hit the 5s I just do another week or more of 10s until my recovery is as above.

It's really very simple.  Progress is basically determined by maintaining a strict recovery during workouts.  I even adjust the number of workouts per week based on my workout recovery. Intensity of the workouts are great, very anerobic. I still so cardio, but it's not as important to my development as it was the first year I was on HST.

I do cardio if I don't feel like putting on workout, which is once or twice a week. I don't panic if I miss a day, since recovery between sets and exercise changes is my basic criteria. My gains have pleased me very well following this method of applying HST.

wink.gif

Sorry domineaux, I was actually replying to the post of Tradnyx but did not make that very clear.

Back