17 year old thinking of starting an HST program

thehopeful96

hey guys,ive been looking for a routine to start my senior year off with,because all my training of the past two years
(thats when i started,half-assed)was in a way,wasted.

i weigh 235 pounds,am 6'0 tall.im really overweight,but that will get taken care of :)

the hst program is really confusing to me,but after researching it looks like something i might want to do.i checked my maxes,and here is what they are:
bench-300(due to an injury,i cant bench for what seems like its going to be a really,really long time...
shoulder press DB-75
curl-120 on a preacher curl,60 one handed concentration curl
tricep-close grip bench,240
deadlift-350(stopped though due to too much back pain,i have sway back)
calf raiser-550 pounds(the one i use at my school is slanted-

and heres the mistake..thats all i really did.i didnt do anything else..i barely had a routine.

the hst routine looks good to try out,but is it useful when you weigh as much as i do?and i eat very healthy,i just eat too much of healthy food :)

i also do no cardio....but i came on here to see if itd be worth trying an hst routine so criticize,comment,oferr help,ect on whatever you want.

~taran
also,sorry if i posted this in the wrong section of the forums.

Yes, it's incredibly useful. Overweight or not.

No cardio is fine for HST. If you want to build muscle, no cardio would actually preferable.

Honestly, you don't need a lot of exercises in your routine. I've been working out for 13 years, HST for 9 and currently I only do 3-4 exercises per work out.

Are these your 5RMs, 1RMs? What do those max #'s correlate to?

I would recommend these exercises in your routine, we'll keep it simple and with compounds, minimal isolations included;

-Dips (assisted and/or weighted as necessary) - can you do these with your injury?
-Chins
-BB Rows
-Deadlifts
-Squats/Leg Press
-Closegrip Bennch (if possible)
-Calf raises

You need to know your 15RM, 10RM and 5RM for each of those (approximate is 'OK' for a first cycle)

those are my one rep maxes,i dont know my 10 or 15 maxes yet..i can do dips with my injury,my injury is that whenever i do benchpress i get a cold searing pain in the ligament?that connects my shoulder to my right pec area.i have no problem with dumbell press though.i can do close grip,kind of.i still feel it a bit with the injury.i weigh too much to do chin ups,and i loveee the leg press!i did it while i had a gym pass for a couple of months.but squats....i just cant do them.as soon as i get down that far,i fall backwards.and no cardio works for me.thanks alex :)

Find out your RMs for 15-10-5 for each of those exercises. Use the calculator to do it. Then plan cycle and go ahead and do it. Don't try and become superman inside two months, and stick to 2 sets per exercise per workout.

Your reported maxes go all over the place. Some are very impressive and others seem comparatively low. Your injury and falling over during squats is an indication of poor form. I would work on getting my form correct before attempting any program. Secondly, get your diet in order. There is rarely a viable excuse to be fat at 17 or any age. Then you start a program but you need to stick to the major compounds as Alex outlined and that includes squats and regular deadlifts. Use power bands to assist with chin/push ups. Don't exclude them because of your fat excuse.

O&G :cool:

I'd be happy to do lat-pulldowns until chin/pull strength is sufficient (relative to BW, of course). They're a fine substitute, and although not a perfect replica they're a 'just as good' replica in some ways; they work the same muscles but to slightly differ degrees, per muscle.

Diet is obviously a big thing, but you'll need to make adjustments with your new exercise regime in mind.

First and foremost is this; other than 1-2 specific and unique circumstances, you can't build muscle and cut fat simultaneously. Pick one of these per cycle. Eat more than maintenance (500kcal to be safe, maybe 6-700 to be sure), or eat less than maintenance (500kcal under, maybe 6-700 to be sure).

And you need to monitor your food mathematically to understand what you're consuming. You might not be able to know precisely your maintenance needs from time = 0, but you can adjust your intake to figure out what your maintenance is (ala you notice when you're neither gaining/losing based on your intake). When you identify that your intake ~= maintenance, take note of the macros (carbs, protein, fats), figure out your total energy needs based on that. Do a common sense check. And then determine your caloric needs based on that number, relative to your goals.

e.g. You might determine that your approximate maintenance is 2500 per day. From that, you can choose either 2,000 or 3,000 as your consumption, depending on your goal.

Alex, with all due respect because I think you are spot on most of the time, this kid needs to lose some weight and I think I would siggest 1800 calories. Eating excess calories now won't do him any good. In fact, he is still at an age when he could get hyperplasia of fat cells. And that is not good. You're stuck with it for life.

Just my $.02.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just spit-balling a number, as an example. Definitely not recommending 2,500 for someone seeking weight loss!

haha yeah,i lost weight in florida,about 55 pounds in two months,and it was too fast....when i got home,i gained 6 pounds from a bowl or two of chili(no ****).
im going to guess i eat about 3500 calories a day,and i dont do any sports.i love lifting weights,but other than that im a couch potato.but i willll be playing football this year.i was thinking the cardio of football+an hst routine while dieting(starving myself,it feels like).thanks alex and grey,your advice is appreciated.my maxes go everywhere because as i said i trained the wrong way,random body parts ect,for my first two years as i had no guidance whatsoever.i was wondering,is 800-1200 calories too low to diet on?will my body go into shock,ect?and grey,mind telling my what hyperplasia is?:)

Hyperplasia is when your body creates new fat cells to store fat in, rather than filling up the cells it already has. Getting rid of these cells is incredibly difficult and requires starvation-like levels of intake to do, over sustained periods and/or very specific exercise regimes.

800-1200 is far too low.

I would guestimate that 1,800-2,000 is where you should be at, based on the info you've given.

3,500 is insanely high, to be honest.

i grew up always eating that much,hmm..let me list what id eat in a regular school day,as in,everything.
breakfast:sometimes two enchaladas,(homeade)
mid lunch-whatever school served-
lunch-more ****ty school food-
after school,usually yogurt+milk or something equivalent
dinner-2 enchaladas,big quesadilla,three tacos,ect...and switches the foods up to match the quanity,and thats what i eat.in the summer,i eat less(take out mid lunch+lunch)
ive also created a fear for myself...i noticed,the more i ate,the more energy i had when i lifted weights,and the stronger i felt. so ive created a lie that tells me to eat alot of food,so ill be stronger.i know its false,but its in the back of my head,and my body keeps"confirming it"because when i dont eat at least that much food,i feel weak,tired,and dont have energy to do anything.so um....comments?":)

Your body will adjust how it maintains your glucose levels at rest (i.e. your 'energy' levels) as you cut the food down. It will acquire the glucose by burning fat.

Also, coffee about 30mins pre workout is great. Don't lot up on sugar, just as an artificial sweetener.

96, your maxes may suffer as you gradually diet down. No big deal. Just stop all sugary drinks and throw away all of the flour wrappings in the food you eat and you will probably have a ready made diet. As Alex said, do not go below 1800 calories. Devote a year to the weight loss. Slow is better.

Back