1st Cycle completed...

Gaz81

I have just finished my first cycle, although i had to ditch squats and deadlifts on the 5s phase due an ankle injury. I have seen some good gains mainly on my shoulders and legs, but my pecs are very dissapointing they both seem to sag and the left is considerably more developed than the right. Any comments/suggestions for my next cycle would be much appreciated.

My Workouts :

workout 1

Squats
Bent Over Rows
Military Press
Chins
Incline Bench Press

workout 2

Deadlifts
dumbell curls
Military Press
Chins
dips

plus some ab work.

[img=http://aycu34.webshots.com/image....th.jpg]

[img=http://aycu38.webshots.com/image....rs.jpg]

<div>
(Gaz81 @ Aug. 09 2007,09:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">but my pecs are very dissapointing they both seem to sag</div>
Yeah, there was a time not long ago when I didn't have pecs -- I had tits...

HST works great for developing muscles. I've seen a great improvement in only a very short time, but it's gonna take more than just a few cycles before I get fitted for a Superman costume.

<div>
(Gaz81 @ Aug. 09 2007,08:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have just finished my first cycle, although i had to ditch squats and deadlifts on the 5s phase due an ankle injury. I have seen some good gains mainly on my shoulders and legs, but my pecs are very dissapointing they both seem to sag and the left is considerably more developed than the right. Any comments/suggestions for my next cycle would be much appreciated.

My Workouts :

workout 1

Squats
Bent Over Rows
Military Press
Chins
Incline Bench Press

workout 2

Deadlifts
dumbell curls
Military Press
Chins
dips

plus some ab work.

[img=http://aycu34.webshots.com/image....th.jpg]

[img=http://aycu38.webshots.com/image....rs.jpg]</div>
Gaz,

Your EDITED routine:

Option 1) A/B
Bent Over Rows/chins
Military Press/dips
Deadlifts/Squats

Option 2) Only deads&amp;squats are A/B
Dips
military press
BB rows
chins
deads/squats

I will be frank and honest with you and trust that you understand that I'm not being disrespectful but wish to see you progress rapidly.
From your pictures it is evident that you are in the base building stages , you would best be served at this point by narrowing your focus , simplifying your routine to maximize base/mass building.
Drop inclines for now , You need to pick dips or flat to get the most bang for your CNS investment - although perhaps appropriate later - for now they are less than ideal. Dumbbell curls even more so , bb rows and chins each w/o will get you so much farther so much quicker for now. It would be better to alternate chins/rows if you prefer an A/B.
For now alternate deads and squats each w/o - later , a few cycles from now you will be dropping to 1x/wk deads-2x/wk squats as the load reaches appropriate levels.
Alternating (doing an A/B) won't ruin everything but would come in second to the option 2 I've listed as the &quot;greasing the groove&quot; concept ( really allowing those nueral adaptations to kick in through frequency) will bring your numbers up higher (at this stage) and bring with it the strength to cause the mass.
As for imbalances - It would be a mistake (although a common one) to address those directly right now. Your pics show a guy JUST BEGINNING to sprout some muscle - it very well may become more balanced as the growth continues , and assessments at this stage are a &quot;bit&quot; premature.

I've &quot;edited&quot; two versions of your routine above - I'll leave you with one more highly &quot;consolidated&quot; that would at this stage be the absolute most bang for your CNS buck:

Flat bench
military press
BB rows
Deads

If you dedicate yourself to these four EVERY w/o for a cycle or two while eating over maintainance - you could bring in or alternate squats , chins , dips, or even incline a cycle or two down the road. I know it seems too simple but this would position you strength and mass wise at the most advantageous for where you are at right now. All is IMHO as always and meant most respectfully...
smile.gif

Gaz81,

Take that ankle injury seriously. Seek advice on how to heal it properly and quickly. For instance, ask about RICE and foot injuries.

I suggest you set yourself a goal. It can be a weight you want to reach or a weight you want to lift or a shape you want to build, etc. Setting a goal clarifies everything. It allows you to figure out what you must and must not do to reach that goal. It allows you to make a plan. For instance, if your goal is to grow, you must eat more. So your plan there would involve figuring out how much food to eat for you to grow, etc. It's also important to figure out your capacity for growth. For instance, if you're young and still growing, you are full of growth hormones naturally and those will help tremendously to make muscle mass gains quickly. Set yourself intermediate goals such as HST cycles, for instance. You finished your first cycle. Set an intermediate goal for your next cycle, it could be as simple as &quot;finish next cycle&quot; or &quot;stick to plan, then set next goal, repeat&quot;.

Set goal, make plan, stick to plan. Repeat.

-edit- Gaz81, listen to RUSS, everything he wrote is exactly what you must hear right now. -edit-

Yeah Gaz, Russ is on thew money, either pick routine 2 or the latter without squats as they are the base builders right now, specialize only once you have added considerable mass to your frame.

I know...I know...whenone starts...patience is not the first thing that comes to mind...but I tell you, in this game and of course with special exception to HST (because it works fairly quick if you follow the nutritional and siimplifying guidelines)...patience and perseverance is most rewarding!

Hang in there...bud!
wink.gif

Thanks for all the input guys, great response as usual. based on the advice you've given i think i'll try the following for my next cycle, feel free to critique. Think my ankle is almost 100% now, so hopefully will be able to get stuck into the squats and deads again!

A

Flat bench
military press
BB rows
Deads

B

Flat bench
military press
Chins
Squats

Back