1st HST cycle, just making sure

Prevtzer

Hello,
I am going to start my first HST routine in a couple of weeks. I would like to make sure that I do everything correctly. I go to the gym for 7 months now with good gains, but would like to change my full body workout routine and have decided to do HST. My nutrition is great! My height is 180cm / 5ft 9" my current weight is 71kg / 156pounds but I am gaining, which is my goal.

Please tell me if following statements are correct/ OK or not.

1. I need to go to the gym and determine my 15 10 and 5 reps maximum
2. Before I start I need to take a two week break
3. My workout will look like this:
Squats
Leg curls
Calf raises
Incline bench press
Chest dips
Pulley
Bent over rows
Lateral raises (rear)
Shoulder press
Biceps curl
Triceps kickback
Crunches

Please tell me if that workout routine is OK, I pretty much copied it from the articles.
4. First I have 2 weeks off, then 2 weeks with 15 reps, then 2 weeks with 10 reps, then 2 weeks with 5 reps and finally 2 weeks with 2 reps.
5. I should add 1-5 pounds each workout in order to reach my max weight that I will estimate beforehand

Please correct my statements,
thank you very much!

1. yep
2. 9 days should be enough. 2 weeks is better i guess.
3. probably too many exercises for one sesh. if you want to do more exercises try and choose 2 exercises for each bodypart and split A&B then do them on alternate days.
also probably dont need arm isos unless you really want to do them
4. yep. instead of 2 reps, just do 2 more weeks of 5 reps at your RM. if you get stronger increase the weight. alternatively do negatives where possible.
5. more like 5 pounds for small exercises and 5-10 for larger ones. if you are really strong 10-20. the greater the difference between the first and last exercise the better.

i'm pretty new to HST but i'm sure the above is correct. before you finalize it maybe read over the articles again to make sure you agree.

Don't ever do tricep kickbacks. These are the worst exercise ever developed. Not only that but in the gym (well, my gym at least) you will be incessantly teased by everyone there including the owners if they see you doing kickbacks. I think I read somewhere that they cause a systemic increase in estrogen as well.

In all seriousness though, they really are quite ill-fitted for HST in that you are going to be using such a light weight that it is going to be extremely difficult to be able to increment the load over time. If you must do a tricep movement, try something like pushdowns or tricep dips. Those will give you more bang for your buck and will be a lot easier to set up a good load progression.

5. I should add 1-5 pounds each workout in order to reach my max weight that I will estimate beforehand

Ideally you should start each two week block with 70-75% of your RM. Then add 5% each workout until you hit your RM on the last day. I can help you set this up if you find your RMs.

2. Before I start I need to take a two week break

Instead of taking two full weeks off, what I would recommend is this. Find your maxes all during one week. Do this on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Take Saturday and Sunday off, then the next entire week off for a total of nine days off from lifting. Then start up again on a Monday.

Hi,

I have already found my max for 15 and 10 reps. Also, I modified my routine to this:
Squats
Deadlifts
Incline bench press
Shoulder press
Bent over rows
Flys
Triceps pushdown
Biceps curl

There has been some discussion on doing squats and deadlifts in same workout, I will try to do them!
Also, there is a possibility to go with this routine:

Squats
Deadlifts
Incline bench press
Shoulder press
Dips
Chin ups

The problem is I can only do about 12 chin ups so I don't really know what to do about that.

I will probably do as much SD as you described.

Onto my maxes for routine I described:
15 reps
Squats 55kg
Deadlifts 50kg
Incline bench press 44kg
Shoulder press 28kg
Bent over rows 56kg
Flys 40g
Triceps pushdown 40kg
Biceps curl 20kg

10 reps
Squats 65kg
Deadlifts 60kg
Incline bench press 48kg
Shoulder press 32kg
Bent over rows 60kg
Flys 50kg
Triceps pushdown 45kg
Biceps curl 24kg

Since the weights are not really that much and in my gym I can't really match any given weight (ex- I can't have 51kg for squats because we don't have 0.5 or 1kgs...) maybe it would be better to consider one week of 14 reps, one week of 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 and one week of 2 reps. HST principles would still be applied as load would be progressively bigger and reps would vary. I don't see a problem with establishing such routine, except it would take a bit of approximation for maxes.

What do you think?

Back