1ST HST CYCLE - LESSONS LEARNED

I

imported_d8ed

Just wanted to post my experience so far.. I took a few years off of working out and just started again in January.. was doing the once a week per body part workout until the end of May when I started my first HST cycle.. I just finished my 7th week and I've seen some considerable gains so far.. I did run into a problem or two this week however.. first let me post my choice of exercises:

DEADLIFT
SQUAT
DUMBBELL PRESS
LAT PULLDOWNS
SEATED ROWS
DUMBBELL SHOULDER PRESS
BARBELL CURLS (EZ CURL)
STANDING TRICEP ROPE EXTENSION
SHRUGS
STANDING CALF RAISES
LEG EXTENSIONS
LEG CURLS
BENT OVER LATERAL RAISES
STANDING CABLE PULLOVER (not sure about the name of this one but it's using the pulldown bar and pulling down with arms straight and standing.. works ABS and lats)

whew that's it.. this worked out great for the first 6 weeks as I would do 2 sets at the beginning of the two week cycles and work up to 1 set towards the end of the two week period.. after completing my sixth week, I felt great.. Upon doing the same workout Monday of week 7, I felt fine.. On Wednesday, I struggled but completed the workout, and on Friday (today), I couldn't finish.  I was exhausted and had to cut out squat (did leg presses) and reduced the weight on the shoulder press by 5 lbs.  Finished but walked away just drained.

I'd like some advice on how to proceed.. I didn't get good sleep this entire week due to my employer cutting over 50% of it's workforce and being on the brink of disappearing and I don't anticipate the stress going away any time soon.. nothing like being on the nightly news and having to explain to everyone you know what's going on with your job.. if you think about it.. you might figure out where I work  

Anyways.. Should I reduce the weight but finish the last week or should I start SD one week early?  My overall goal is to lose weight as I just found out I'm going to be in a wedding in a month and was considering going back to the 15s or 10s and splitting the workout in two so I could work out morning and night.  I'm 235 lbs and 6' tall and typically gain weight and muscle fast.  I've gained 5 lbs since starting HST but it's definitely due to muscle gains as my back/shoulders/legs/arms definitely feel and look larger.  

I definitely realize that I took on too many exercises regardless of the gains I've made so far.  It's the first time I've ever taken a little notebook to the gym and I love the program so far.  Nothing like walking out of the gym with your shirt drenched in sweat from doing weight training.  I'm getting excited just thinking about working out again.  Sure makes it easier to get up at 6am when you can see gains.  Thanks in advance for any advice you might give.

Man...it will work better splitting that into 2 workouts:

That will give you 7 per session.

Try the link below and take up one of the many routines in that thread, works best for most people!

Simplify and Win

One other thing, do not mix squats and deadlifts they will exhaust you!

Yup, check out Fausto's Simplify and Win thread. It's a great help.

Meanwhile, in order to finish your current cycle, you might consider dropping out a lot of the gingerbread and just focus on the major compound exercises:

Deads/Squats
Bench/Row
Chin/Dip
OH Press
Shrugs

That's where the beef is!

Back