Misc:
Dips,
Reverse Curls,
Rope Pushdowns

If you ask me why so many: my goal is to target every
muscle there is and, hopefully, do some cardio while I run
from one piece of equipment to another one.  ;)  hehe

Supplements: Whey, Creatine, EFA.

Latly i've started eating like a horse, not a bad thing i guess...

Thanks,
Ruslan

Remember, more is not always better. Also, a lot of compound exercises will hit multiple muscle groups for you. How many sets of each of these are you doing?

Why no squats or deadlifts? Those take care of a lot of work for you. If it were me, I'd drop down some exercises and replace a few as well. A much better routine, in my opinion, would be this:

Weighted Dips, Bench - those both take care of chest
Rows, Chins - now your back is done
Squats, Deads - legs
Shrugs
Standing Barbell Curls
(some sort of shoulder press)

You can add in triceps if you want, but I don't think they are necessary. This would take you down to only 8 or 9 movements, depending on how you do it, instead of 14-17 movements like you currently have, and it should still hit all your muscles, even your forearms and abs.

Also, are you sure you are getting enough calories? With how much work you are doing, I wouldn't be surprised if your maintenance requirement went way up.

First I do a 1set of warm up, which is half of what my day's poundage is and then 1set of each exercise.
So the whole thing takes me about an hour to complete.

Weighted Dips - I do regular dips, cause haven't figured out how to hang weight on myself yet, so that's why I added Pushdowns.

Squats, Deads - do these exercises do more then just train legs? I've always had a question about them, cause too many ppl here talk about them so much.. am I missing something? hmm..I must be...

I do Reverse Standing Barbell Curls - which does a pretty crazy job on my forearms, i'd say, i've always had a problem with how my forearms looked, cause my wrists are thin - which i wanna fix somehow. :)

Were you talking about different type of Rows? cause I do Seated Rows as I mentioned earlier.

About Triceps - I just do them cause it feels like i'm training them.. the thing is when I do Bench Presses and Pushdowns the movement and feeling from each exercise is different.. feels like with just a Bench Press I miss a muscle or something... can be a mental thing tho. :)
Rope Pushdowns are also done in a way to target forearms.

And i think i do get enought calories. I go up to 3000 a day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (edgeArchitect @ Dec. 04 2005,2:41)]Squats, Deads - do these exercises do more then just train legs? I've always had a question about them, cause too many ppl here talk about them so much.. am I missing something? hmm..I must be...
Squats target your quads more than anything. Deadlifts focus on the lower back, but you'll also get your traps working well. These compound movements also incorporate your abs and arms as well..

Also, your BMR should be around 2454, but as Toten said... it may be higher when you add cardio and all those additional exercises in. You may also be overtraining, so why not take the suggestions and stick to compound movements and maybe an isolation or two.

-Colby

Yup.. In the beginning of my  2nd cycle I'll get rid of all the leg exercises and do Squats..
And I'll also replace Back Crunch with Deads. What i'm woried about is getting a back injury.. that's my only problem with deads. But I guess I MUST learn how to do it right someday. Right?

BTW. I built my routine as close to Bryans "Sample HST Workout" as possible:

tables_sampHST.gif

At my job I sit on my @$$ all day so... the only time I move is when I go to work and when I go to gym. also I don't do cardio, I don't really like to run unless I really have to.. :) hehe
so.. 3 weeks into my cycle and i gained 6 pounds, too me it's pretty crazy.. because before I decided to train all I did was dieted and did ZERO physical work... I'd say I really like the result I got.. but I'm afraid if I eat more i'll gain alot of fat..

I just can't be overtraining, since I only do 1 Set of each exercise. And even when I leave the gym I don't have that
pumped up feeling. I really try to avoid anything that feels like overtraining, just because I want to return to the Gym the next day. How do I know that i'm not overtraining??? The answer is I can freely scratch my back without looking like I can't... you know. :)

Is there any other reason except for uselessness of having more exercises then you think I really need? I kinda need more then one reason for this one, since I'm a beginner and I know I might not be targeting the muscles the exercise was meant for. I just have to have more experience incorporating just the muscles needed for a certain movement. That's the best way I can explain the reason behind 17 exercises. :)

What do you think?

Thanks for your replies guys, I really appreciate your comments and input.

Well if you are only doing 1 set per movement, I doubt you'll overtrain. Still, the main reason I would suggest swapping any of your movements is because the only ones you have where you can move real heavy weights is probably bench press and shoulder press. Throw squats and deads in there and you'll be moving your bodyweight and far more in no time.

As for your question about rows, I meant whatever you prefer for rows. I like barbell bentover rows, but seated rows probably work just as well. Not sure though, I've never done seated rows.

About forearms - deadlifts seem to work forearms pretty well for me, as do chin-ups. Chinups is something I would definitely do for back if I were you, rather than pulldowns. They are far more effective in my experience.

Anyway... if you are gaining well right now, you may as well just finish your cycle as is, then you can do some tweaks next cycle. Your workout plan is sound, just not what I would consider optimal for myself... I'm not you though, so I can't say what would be optimal for you.

Good luck. Six pounds in three weeks is a pretty good gain. Let us know how you end up when the cycle is over.

Totentanz

I do Seated Rows to avoid injury. because there's a plate that pushes upon your chest.. feels safer.

Chinups - I have chinup bar at home so I do chinups 3 times a day anyway. :)

Yup.. so far I'm really happy with the progress. and trying to get the maximum result without injury or overtraining.
Maybe it's because i'm just starting out... but my strength has literally doubled on every exercise that i have listed..

Hmm. so what you are saying is: the more weight you lift doing one major compound the more pounds you gain?

Bla bla..
thumbs-up.gif

Back