2 questions

Avi1985

1) My cicle looks like that :
1 week 15's
1 week 13's
2 weeks 9's
2 weeks 5's
2 weeks with my new rm5

Now, my question is if it would be better for me to to do on 15's and 13's 30 reps, on 9's 25 reps, and on 5's 20 reps. Or to do 20 reps on all the rep ranges?
2) Do you count all the protein that you eat ( like in bread, oats, potatos etc) or only the protein of the protein sources food ( like meat, eggs, fish...)?
Thnx

I'm just going to answer question #2 beacuse #1 is too confusing for me, and I don't understand why you are picking such strange rep ranges instead of using what many believe to work well already.

Yes, count all protein.

LoL
biggrin.gif
my english sucks i know.
Thnx for the answear.
But for the first question. Ill try to be more clear. Lets say i do 15's 10's & 5's. Would it be better if on 15's and 10's i do 30 reps and on 5's i do 20 reps. Or i should do 20 reps on 15's 10's & 5's?

From my limted experience with HST.... in the first cycle.. I would suggest..

WK1: 2X15
WK2: 1X15
WK3: 2X10
WK4:1X10.
etc.......

From what I've experienced so far.. if you base your 6th workout of your 15 rep max.. by the time you get half way throught the cycle you're going to be maxing out.. and not able to complete the cycle as planned.. unless you just have unusually large strength gains..

The example would be..
Flat Bench: 15 rep max 100lbs.
by the time you reach the 5th and 6th workout of the cycle..logic would tell you that you're not going to be able to do 2X15 of 100lbs.. I'm not sure what the term used on this board is.. but one way around this would be to.. on the last week.. if you're having difficulty doing 2X15 of the weight.. do 1 set of 15, then do 2X7.. or how ever you need to break the sets up without going to failure..

this is how I understand it.. but others more knowledgable of this system may be able to advise you better..

<div>
(smoundzou @ Sep. 20 2007,08:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">From my limted experience with HST.... in the first cycle.. I would suggest..

WK1: 2X15
WK2: 1X15
WK3: 2X10
WK4:1X10.
etc.......

From what I've experienced so far.. if you base your 6th workout of your 15 rep max.. by the time you get half way throught the cycle you're going to be maxing out.. and not able to complete the cycle as planned.. unless you just have unusually large strength gains..

The example would be..
Flat Bench: 15 rep max 100lbs.
by the time you reach the 5th and 6th workout of the cycle..logic would tell you that you're not going to be able to do 2X15 of 100lbs.. I'm not sure what the term used on this board is.. but one way around this would be to.. on the last week.. if you're having difficulty doing 2X15 of the weight.. do 1 set of 15, then do 2X7.. or how ever you need to break the sets up without going to failure..

this is how I understand it.. but others more knowledgable of this system may be able to advise you better..</div>
I believe the term you are searching for is clustering...

Which is what I do for all rep ranges...

I do 20 reps for all rep ranges I do not do the classic 'set' type workout.

And example for the 15s
If the weight I am using is 100lbs and I can do 20 good reps at a hundred I will just do them without resting.

If the 100lbs is to much to do 20 good reps in a row:
Let's say I can do 12
Then rest
If I can do 5 more
Then rest
Then the remaining 3 reps.
Depending on the exercise I throw in Max-Stim as well.
cool.gif

Edited to add:
I thought this was an interesting thread:

I may incorporate that next cycle.

Clustering was the word..
smile.gif

Can you elaborate on the term you used, &quot;Depending on the exercise I throw in Max-Stim as well.&quot;  I'm familiar with the program but not sure what you meant when you say..Throw it in depending on the exercise?

max stim lends itself well to something like a dead lift, because it's easy to &quot;rack the weight&quot; and get set again.

but other lifts (say an OH press) may be more trouble to rack and get set all over again. depending, of course, on the type of rack your using, if your using a rack, etc...

personally, I like to max stim on bench better than I like to use the technique for squat...because it's more difficult to get set when squatting (in my circumstance/opinion). but, that doesn't mean I never cluster (or max-stim) for squats.

<div>
(smoundzou @ Sep. 20 2007,10:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Clustering was the word..
smile.gif

Can you elaborate on the term you used, &quot;Depending on the exercise I throw in Max-Stim as well.&quot; I'm familiar with the program but not sure what you meant when you say..Throw it in depending on the exercise?</div>
I incorporate it in certain exercises because it is easy to re-rack the barbell and not take much more time.

For example I Max-stim
Deadlifts
Preacher Curls
Military press (I use hammer strength machine only machine I use)

I don't maxstim
Squats
Chins
Dips
Skull crushers
rows
Bench

it's just a pain to re-rack those exercises.

Yea, I agree. On some lifts in particular squats.. it just doesn’t seem feasible to use max stim..

Just wondering what your results have been using max stim.. I've never intentionally used it
cool.gif
but have been aware of it for a while..

Has it helped your overall strength of particular lifts?

On some lifts in particular squats.. it just doesn’t seem feasible to use max stim..

Oh, it's feasible -- even with squats. It just takes a bit of time.

I use Max-Stim on my Korte 3x3 program (40 rep Squats, 48 rep Bench Press, and 40 rep Deads). For the early lifts with about a 3 second M-time, it is something of a hassle to re-rack the bar. However, once my M-time gets up past 10 seconds or so, I just incorporate my racking time into the M-time and it's no extra bother at all.

Has it helped your overall strength of particular lifts?

Max-Stim mainly works to control fatigue. Thus it allows for significantly more time under tension. I find that I am able to do 20 Max-Stim reps with my 5 RM weights.

Well to be honest I can not really tell.

I am seeing results whether it is due to Max-Stim or not I am not sure.

I will say this when it gets to the heavy weights max-stim helps a lot with fatigue etc.

Try doing Negatives with max stim you will see how your results should improve with it.

Give it a try, it can't hurt

Thnx man.
I decided to do on 15's 2 sets for each muscle, on 10's 3 sets, and on 5's 4 sets. what do you think?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thnx man.
I decided to do on 15's 2 sets for each muscle, on 10's 3 sets, and on 5's 4 sets. what do you think? </div>

You could try something like this:

Week 1: 15 x 3/2.5
Week 2: 15 x 2.5/2
Week 3: 10 x 3/2.5
Week 4: 10 x 2.5/2
Week 5: 5 x 3/2.5
Week 6: 5 x 2.5/2
Week 7: 3 x 3/2 (or MaxStim/negs)
Week 8: 3 x 2/1 (&quot;)

Eg. for 1st week that means 15 reps for 3 sets at start of week dropping to 2.5 sets at end of week, etc.)

I'm basing the volume here on what I do which is to use a selection of four or five exercises and start with 75% of 15RM and increment in 5% steps. I also have zig-zag. If you start heavier and/or remove zig-zag you will have to alter volume accordingly.

I'd lower the volume per exercise if I was doing more than one exercise per bodypart.

Don't feel that you have to get all the reps in for subsequent sets if that means you will be hitting failure. After the first set you can always use clustering to attain the desired number of reps.

For your heaviest lifts, like deads and back squats, you will find that at the end of 5s even 2 sets will be brutally hard. If you have a life outside of the gym you may want to just do one top set for deads but this does depend on your strength levels and how you are managing fatigue.

Thnx for your help.
Im gonna try the routine of lol only without the zigzag.
And instead the barbel curls ill add the dumbel curls.
Edit : what is power rack?

<div>
(Avi1985 @ Sep. 24 2007,13:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And instead the barbel curls ill add the dumbel curls.
Edit : what is power rack?</div>
I think somebody was just pulling your chain a little...
biggrin.gif

Back