2 sets vs 3 sets during 10s 5s

Svpeacock

Just wondering if it's recommended to increase the number of sets higher than 2 during 10s and 5s. If so what are the benefits? I have read a lot of literature stating that beyond the second set you are just mostly burning calories.

It depends on how many exercises you are doing. I usually keep it minimal, 3-5 lifts at most, and work up to 20-30 total reps on each. But you should use the minimum effective volume that you need to grow.

I see. Would you mind checking out my log? It's located under logs: "HST after extreme trauma with pics." That's the routine I"m following for the next five weeks.

like said it depends on the person really how many sets and routine. with 10 exercise in your routine 2 sets should be sufficient but if thats leaving your struggling dropping to 1 set is fine as your on 15's. go by how you feel rather than a number. so if you feel 1 set is doing it for you then do 1. if you do a full routine of 1 sets and feel you can redo the routine for another set and same weight then keep to 2 sets. remember the beginning of the cycle will feel easy so don't make the mistake of doing lots of sets at the start of a 2 wk cycle only to find your killing yourself at the end of the cycle.

I do 2 sets for upper body and 3 sets for lower.

Considering what you are coming back from, I would take it slower, so probably stick with 2 sets through the 10s and 5s both. It's not likely you need a huge growth stimulus right now coming back from such a huge layoff. In addition, if you are trying to lose bodyfat then you do not need as much volume as you do when you are trying to build muscle.

In addition, if you are trying to lose bodyfat then you do not need as much volume as you do when you are trying to build muscle.

I'm actually not looking to loose any body fat. I'm only trying to induce hypertrophy and strength. I hope to start loosing body fat mid way through my next cycle.

Back