2 Split program HST hybrid

Eddy

Well, after succes with the HST pricipples, I've decided to try a 2 split buildt after the 15 10 5 rep range.
It look like this:

Mon/tues : Chest/shoulder/triceps
BB bænkpres 5 sets
Flyers 3 sets
Military 4 sets
Lateral raise 4 sets
Real lat row 4 sets
Closegrip bænkpres 3 sets
Frans pres 4 sets
Triceps pushdowns 3 sets
DB Bænkpres 4 sets

Thirs/fri : Leg/Back/biceps
Squat 5 sets
Dødløft 5 sets
Stiffleg dødløft 3 sets
Bent o row 4 sets
BB curls 4 sets
Hammer curls 3 sets
Calves Raise 3 sets
Chins 3 sets
Shrugs 3 sets

I hope for some critism, and ideas to make it better...

Cut the total week's volume in half and do that volume over 6 workouts, working each bodypart 3 times per week.

This is somewhat the same to what I am doing now My routine, but I am not using the same number of sets as you nor am I working out the same muscle group two days in a row. Keep us informed.

if i was you i'd do the following;

Mon/wednesday/friday : Chest/shoulder/triceps

BB Benchpress 2 sets
DB Benchpress 1 set
Flyers 1 set
Military 1 set
Lateral raise 1 set
Real lat row 1 set
Closegrip Benchpress 1 sets
Frans pres 1 set
Triceps pushdowns 1 set

Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday : Leg/Back/biceps

Squat 2 sets
Stiffleg dødløft 1 set
Bent o row 1 sets
BB curls 1
Hammer curls 1 set
Calves Raise 1 set
Chins 2 sets
Shrugs 1 sets

This gives you a total of 60 sets total per week. Which will minimize your chances of burnout.

When your doing more then one compound for something like chest when you have barbell benchpress AND dumbbell benchpress there is no need to be doing more then 2 sets for any more then ONE of them.

I cut out deadlift because in my experiance your lowerback will give you problems doing both, not too mention the fact that squat and deadlift back to back will murder you in the 15s. Besides you have plenty of low back work with squats and bent over rows.

I haven't got the time for a 3 split routine. And only one or to sets pr exercise don't seem like very much.
Btw, i am not supposed to train the same musclegroup two days in a row... Which of the exercises is malplaced since it trains a wrong musclegroup?

What if i cut it down to 4 sets for Benchpres, Squat and Deadlift, and all the others were 3 sets?

Eddy, if it works for you, go for it. It would probably be too much volume for the average, natural person to see optimal results.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Eddy @ July 17 2005,5:14)]1)I haven't got the time for a 3 split routine. And only one or to sets pr exercise don't seem like very much.

2)Btw, i am not supposed to train the same musclegroup two days in a row...

3)Which of the exercises is malplaced since it trains a wrong musclegroup?

4)What if i cut it down to 4 sets for Benchpres, Squat and Deadlift, and all the others were 3 sets?
1)with that order of exercises u'd be in the gym no longer then 30-40 mins at a time. the increased freq. makes up for the lack of sets per workout... plus with the # of compounds you got for each bodypart there's no need to do any more then 2 sets for any more then one of them, IMO. If you want to increase sets cut down the numder of exercises, or you'll likely burn out.

2) You would be training Mon/wednesday/friday : Chest/shoulder/triceps ; and Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday : Leg/Back/biceps, which gives 48 hrs between workouts. Why are you not supposed to train a muscle group 2 days in a row Old and Grey trains with reduced Workout volume and hits a muscle 4 times in 48 hrs!

3) They are all fairly well placed but i'd take deadlifts out of the routine for now, depending on your goals.

4) Would still be too much volume if you ask me, give it a shot tho if you think you can handle it! You may be able to!

I'm gonna give it a try. But i can't train 3 split, i dont have enough time, mostly because the transport to and from tha gym takes almost 2 hours!

Well, i've decided to turn down the volume like i said, and since i'm only 17 years old, eating very well, and filled with energy im quite sure i wont burn out.

My old full body workout had 17 exercises! But that was also a bit too much. I really appreciate the help, thank you very much.

And please dont mind my grammar, my cat is sick and snores, so i've slept terribly
tounge.gif

I'd trade the cat for a set of weights and a bench, save commuting 2 hours to the gym and sleep better as well.    
thumbs-up.gif

happy.gif

laugh.gif

Same here, I think you can get an adequate workout at home if you have the proper equipment. Also the convenience is a huge plus. You don't have to worry about long lines to use equipment, transit times to and from the gym, etc. It also makes higher frequency very easy.

exaaaaclty!! i love training at home. :) i can play the music i like, i can get my shakes ready, i can take off my shirt if i want, i can be loud, etc etc etc

Ditto on working out at home. No place like it! You can workout when you want, no waiting, wear what you want or nothing at all
tounge.gif
, make all the noise you want and not have to worry about distractions. Pick your own music as well. Those gyms are so annoying.

Get yourself a power rack, some olympic weights, and a nice bench and you are set to go. You can always add stuff as you go but don't really need much else except some DB's.

Mike

Back