2 times a week volume for full body workout

Yeah, but I take a bone of contention when people start talking about hypertrophy from isometric tension. If that garbage worked, I'd just sit in a chair and flex for an hour. But if you believe it works, fine; do it. To be fair, I went back to the article, and sure enough, he's talking strength and hypertrophy.
Even a middle-of-the-road opinion will show lack of trust in these:
http://www.sportsci.com/SPORTSCI/JANUARY/pp123.htm

Quad

This one's just for you.    
cool.gif

Overhead Calf Raise

I haven't read the article but once...and it was a half ass read at best.

But what I got out of it I thought he was bascially advocating compounds and talking about the indirect effect of secondary muscle when training.

I don't think squats will do anything for your biceps either.

The more I learn and relearn I am starting to think hst is not the optimum routine either.

I personally think something like Lyles Bulking Routine is ideal.

Why?...well my bro-logic seems to think Lyles makes the most sense.

By hitting a muscle group with adequate volume but not as retardly as old school bodybuilding.

Again If I had to pick a one size fits all program for someone with time...my opinion is that and Upper lower split is the way to go!

Joe, I also do each body part twice per week. I find the recovery more important than the frquency as I get older. I do 90% compounds but I do one direct set each for biceps and triceps twice per week as I believe that you need direct work to get maximize size, even on smaller muscles. You just don't need a lot of it. Besides, I kind of like my arms to be disproportionately large compared to the rest of my body. It certainly turns heads when you have on a Polo-type shirt and the elastic around the arm is straining.    
cool.gif

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Feb. 13 2008,08:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Joe, I also do each body part twice per week. I find the recovery more important than the frquency as I get older. I do 90% compounds but I do one direct set each for biceps and triceps twice per week as I believe that you need direct work to get maximize size, even on smaller muscles. You just don't need a lot of it. Besides, I kind of like my arms to be disproportionately large compared to the rest of my body. It certainly turns heads when you have on a Polo-type shirt and the elastic around the arm is straining.    
cool.gif
</div>
Yeah, that look is pretty cool.

I think 3x/week is only doable because of the submax loading. Those of us who like to push our limits in the gym, have trouble holding back and of course then we need lower frequency. So HST frequency is fine if you follow the program properly. (not that I do, I am just saying).

I agree with Sci on this.

I think that if you get real busy with career / life / kids....its easier sometimes to just go balls to the walls training on 2 a week with heavy loads.

There still needs to be progression of course!

Back