2nd Cycle: 15's or not?

omega99

I'm just gearing up for my 2nd HST cycle, after some good results on the 1st, and was wondering what the consensus is on keeping the 15's. I read in the general program that you can just start on the 10's after your first cycle. Do you guys feel that the 15's provide a hypertophic response or primarily prep your body for what's to come? I seem to remember Bryan commenting that you can grow at each rep stage.

As an aside, I've been lurking for a few months and appreciate all the great info posted here. Look forward to contributing.

Tim

15 are a little light imo. Some guys do them in every cycle, and have good results, other guys skip them and have good results.

I have seen some guys do 12s, 8s, 5s instead of 15s, 10s and 5s.

I like to do them every cycle. I do get a little growth but the main benefit for me is how it preps my joints and connective tissues for the workouts that come later in the cycle.

I would keep them until the gains slow down a bit before eliminating them, and even then, I would at least do them every other cycle. The reasons are many; the 15's aren't just for hypertrophy, but joint healing, conditioning, neural adaptation and such. (our resident scientists can surely elaborate further)...

You are also in control of the weights and increments used, and can make it really interesting.

I agree with both Quad and Sci...
rock.gif
....if that make any sense....hehe.

But it really is a personal decision...they have always just felt to light for me...so I am in favor of 12 reps instead of 15!

There is NOTHING easy about my 3rd or 4th workout in the 15's! And the last? Allguts, grityerteethandgrowl, pushtillyableed nasty!

Might as well make that foofoo stuff count!

Thanks for the help on on the 15's. I've decided to keep them for my 2nd cycle. However, this cycle I've downsized my sets from 2 to 1 per exercise during the 15's (total of 8 exercises). I've done this in favor of stressing consistent work, as well as concentrating on proper form and feel. Hopefully, this will also mitigate CNS fatique as I progress through the the latter stage of each mesocycle.

Anyone else have success from one cycle to the next by deemphasizing or decreasing the volume (total reps) in favor of keeping the work (reps x weight) relatively consistent for each mesocycle? Apologies if I've misused the proper definitions.

Tim

My thoughts on 15s: they are great as long as you don't start too light. Once your strength picks up you will find that the 15s get to be pretty brutal by the last few workouts. I am by no means strong but my Oly squats are now at the 250lb point for my 15RM workout. This is not fun for me and makes me feel like hurling my protein shake.  
biggrin.gif

I guess you are training your endurance pathway to some degree but as long as you are ahead of RBE (which you will be after a proper SD) you will still be able to make some strength and size gains especially as you should be trying to push up your RMs each cycle.

I'm not sure what the consensus of opinion is for minimum starting weights (it's probably in the FAQ but I can't remember?) but I wouldn't go lower than 50% of 1RM in each exercise or 75% of your 15RM (whichever is the greater).

As far as work done goes, I like to try to keep my rep count consistent throughout the cycle while the loads increase so that the volume per workout is always increasing. I just feel it may help to ensure I am triggering a hypertrophic response all the way along. If I have to drop the reps for my top sets at the end of 5s and beyond then I try to make up a bit of volume with a slightly lighter load. This may be overkill but at least I can eat a bit more and get away with it after burning the extra calories.
biggrin.gif

Like Lol said, 15s aren't necessarily easy. Squats and Deadlifts in particular can be quite brutal during 15s, once you've built a decent foundation of strength.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 09 2007,19:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Like Lol said, 15s aren't necessarily easy.  Squats and Deadlifts in particular can be quite brutal during 15s, once you've built a decent foundation of strength.</div>
Amen...

Back