2nd Cycle

colby2152

I had great gains on my last cycle - could have been muscle memory from January. I could also have a bit of that this cycle. I ran a standard cycle last time, but had a split routine. I found out what exercises I truely liked, and here is what I have for this routine.

I am also adding abs/obliques into this cycle... and these exercises aren't performed in this order by the way.

Flat DB Press
Dips
Incline Chest
Cable Pulldowns
Chins
Leg Press
Calf Raises
Stiff Legged Dead Lift
Pulley Crunches
Broomstick Twists
Shrugs (Smith)
Shoulder Press
Barbell Curl

Okay, so that seems like a lot of exercises - 13.

a) Should I throw out the flat DB Press since I have incline and dips? I could even alternate incline and the flat DB press.

b) Should I wait to add isolation exercises like the cable pulldowns (tris) and barbell curl (bis) for the 5's? My arms are lacking in proportional size to the rest of my upper body, so I am not sure if that's the best idea.

c) There are a lot of exercises. If I keep it how it is, there are 13. If I follow possible given advice for a and b, I will then have 10 exercises. I read that splitting your routine into two (upper and lower) is better for hypertrophy - maybe because you have more energy when you are lifting. Depending on the answers to a and b, should I do split it up or keep all the exercises full body 3x/week?

d) I thought a lot about rep stages since daxie and chiefhog made posts about their ideas for upcoming cycles. I may save a change to these until late fall when scheduling conflicts play a big deal and cycles will need to be changed in size. I lift alone, so negs are tough to do, but I am thinking of doing 3's instead of progressing on my 5RM. There will be a lot of zig-zagging, which I know hasn't been proved in practice to be worse than total progression, so would that work out?

On a note, I am going to change how I do dips since reading a certain post, thinking about it logically, and checking the exrx website. One set I sit straight up to hit the tris, and on another I will lean forward to hit the chest.

This cycle is due to start this Monday, September 19th.

Thanks
thumbs-up.gif
-Colby

bump...

I also plan to add in some hanging leg raises to hit the abs more. I haven't trained abs since Spring, so now would be a good time while my bodyfat% is finally getting low.

With that added to the exercises, I may be favoring (6x-split)/week going MWF AM, MW PM, and the friday PM workout moved to the weekend if I plan on going out early.

-Colby

bump again... :confused:

no love for this post?

I'm trying to get some feedback before I start my new cycle on Monday. :confused:

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colby2152 @ Sep. 13 2005,9:13)]I had great gains on my last cycle -
a) Should I throw out the flat DB Press since I have incline and dips?  I could even alternate incline and the flat DB press.
b) Should I wait to add isolation exercises like the cable pulldowns (tris) and barbell curl (bis) for the 5's?  My arms are lacking in proportional size to the rest of my upper body, so I am not sure if that's the best idea.
c) There are a lot of exercises.  If I keep it how it is, there are 13.  If I follow possible given advice for a and b, I will then have 10 exercises.  I read that splitting your routine into two (upper and lower) is better for hypertrophy - maybe because you have more energy when you are lifting.  
Depending on the answers to a and b, should I do split it up or keep all the exercises full body 3x/week?
d) I thought a lot about rep stages since daxie and chiefhog made posts about their ideas for upcoming cycles.  I may save a change to these until late fall when scheduling conflicts play a big deal and cycles will need to be changed in size.  I lift alone, so negs are tough to do, but I am thinking of doing 3's instead of progressing on my 5RM.  There will be a lot of zig-zagging, which I know hasn't been proved in practice to be worse than total progression, so would that work out?
a) I would stick with Dips and Incline
b) I would drop the arm isolation in the 5's and sticl with the bigger compounds that use the arms as synergistics.
c) Using a split allows more volume to be used on fewer exercises without additional fatigue.

Up to you and how you feel after full body (if strength not up to par, try a split and see how you react).
d) Don't sweat the zig zag, as long as you are increasing in weight then all is well. Working to a 3RM is ok also but understand 3RM is pretty heavy, so be careful with your movements and avoid doing stupid things that could get you hurt.

If working with a heavy weight like 3RM I would dump all exercises except, Military, Incline or Dips, Chins ups or Rows and Squats in order to increase volume a bit.

DKM,

Thanks for the reply... so you are saying I shouldn't do isolations at all?

I may try doing the split for a week, adding some volume in, and seeing how I like it. It's worth a shot I suppose.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If working with a heavy weight like 3RM I would dump all exercises except, Military, Incline or Dips, Chins ups or Rows and Squats in order to increase volume a bit.

When you say dump other exercises, but increase volume - do you mean do more sets for those big compound movements?

-Colby

Yes, that's what he means, do more sets with your heavy compounds (the ones he mentioned) and that's it (no other exercises).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so you are saying I shouldn't do isolations at all?

If your arms are lagging, then you might want to overload them with exercises that use pretty heavy poundages, rather than waste energy using isolations for them that use so little poundages relative to your core movements. That's not saying the isolations will be totally useless. With decent weight and more stretch, like with incline curls and skullcrushers, they'll help too, but your focus really should be on the heavy core movements if you intend to grow huge arms.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I lift alone, so negs are tough to do, but I am thinking of doing 3's instead of progressing on my 5RM. There will be a lot of zig-zagging, which I know hasn't been proved in practice to be worse than total progression, so would that work out?

Zig-zag is fine. If you'll work up to your 3's, you may not even need "progression" at all. You can do your 5RM for a workout more or two, then add 5 to 10 pounds per workout until you reach your 3 RM. Or to keep it simple, do one more week of 5's, then the next week go to your 3's. This depends on how far away your 3's are to your 5's. Sometimes you'll find there really isn't much of a difference, so no sense in trying to layout a progression of sorts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
bump again...

no love for this post?

I'm trying to get some feedback before I start my new cycle on Monday.

Sorry about that. But better late than never, huh?

Regards, and good luck on your next cycle. You'll do great.
-JV

Thanks JV and Dan,

If I were to do a couple isolation exercises such as incline curls and skullcrushers, when should I implement them?

-Colby

While I agree that compounds are the way to go, sometimes I would like to hear people who have built their 18" arms without isos.

Back