3-6 Months Sd

Discussion in 'Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST)' started by Old and Grey, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Old and Grey

Old and Grey Super Moderator Staff Member

Today I begin a 3 to 6 month unwanted SD. I am having rotator cuff surgery today so will be unable to lift for quite some time. I expect to lose some strength but am really anxious to see what happens to size. I will take a few measurements (something I probably have not done in 10+ years) and compare them to when I can go back to the gym and then 3 months and 6 months after resuming training to see how quickly this muscle memory kicks in in an old fart. Should be interesting but not looking forward to it.

Train safely.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    adpowah likes this.
  2. mickc1965

mickc1965 Well-Known Member

Hope both the surgery and your recovery go well.

3. Browner

Browner Active Member

Speedy recovery. Hope it all goes well!

4. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

I hope it all goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

5. Luke matthews

Luke matthews New Member

Good luck O&G.

6. Brixtonian

Brixtonian Member

Good luck and best wishes for it

7. _Simon_

_Simon_ Active Member

Ah sorry to hear O&G, these setbacks are never easy. Good opportunity to take it easy, relax and focus on other things. Or you could totally smash out leg extensions and leg curls for 6 months ;D. Or even some unilateral training, I've heard there's somehow a carryover strength-wise on the other side of the body, something to do with the brain/CNS etc..

Wish you all the best for your recovery and hope the surgery goes well. Let us know how you're going and don't be a stranger here either :)

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Good luck, cowboy.

If you’re staying on the same trt, should be kind of ok.

Leg machines an option? Back extensions maybe?

9. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

How did surgery go?

10. Old and Grey

Old and Grey Super Moderator Staff Member

Surgery went fine Ad. Not as much pain afterward as I had been led to believe. But after 3 back fusions, I relate all pain to that and it seems very minor. Probably looking at 2-3 months of PT before I will have full use of shoulder again and able to somewhat meaningfully lift again. The hardest part is being in a sling. Very awkward, especially being on a horse farm. The good news is the Doctor indicated I should heal at double the norm because my shoulder muscle development protected me from getting a more damaging tear and will help with the repair. After 60 years of lifting I am now doing zero weight 100 rep bicep curls to retrain my nerves. LOL.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    adpowah and _Simon_ like this.
  11. _Simon_

_Simon_ Active Member

Glad to hear it went well O&G :). You'll be back in the swing of things in no time.

Ah think of dat pump though! XD

12. Renky

Renky Member

@Old and Grey
    In my opinion, I think a 3 month break will do wonders for you and you might be surprised at what the down time will produce when you get back to lifting.

_Simon_ likes this.
  13. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear the surgery went well. Here's hoping you a speedy recovery!