300 THE MOVIE

Mardarxz

OK just watched the trailer for the new movie 300 about the spartans, looks awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lwRxHCTiCs

Wondering what some of you experts think of the way the actors trained for the movie. Its explained here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Eyg32W4aE

Also mens health have covered how gerard butler (plays the king) trained for the role:
http://www.menshealth.com/cda....eac____

"Without resting between exercises, Butler performs 25 pullups, 50 deadlifts with 135 pounds, 50 pushups, 50 jumps on a 24-inch box, 50 floor wipers (*3), 50 single-arm clean-and-presses using a 36-pound kettle bell, and 25 more pullups. All this, in addition to utilizing other unconventional yet equally taxing training methods, such as tire flipping and gymnastics-style ring training."

Seemed to work well for him:
gerardbutler04jpgw300h4te1.jpg

vidjournal50109xw5.jpg

Seems like a whole lot of reps, thoughts on this ?

he looks to be in good shape, but very often those things are put in by a press agent to promote the movie or the actor & are largely fabricated. I'm not saying that's the case this time, but I've seen some pretty outlandish claims in Men's Health.

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Mar. 02 2007,14:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I`m not quite sure that was the only thing working for him
wink.gif
</div>
ha ha, thats a good way of putting it.

hollywood action movies would be a great marketing tool for a trainer/workout but the funny thing is you rarely ever hear any real details about them.

why is this? millions of posts flood in to lifting sites when the movies are released asking &quot;how do i look like brad in troy&quot;, &quot;whats the w/o for looking like that guy in the punisher&quot; etc etc. this movie/actor will be next. someone could make a mint off of these folks.

the reason is b/c the answer has always been the same. get a good trainer and dietician that can push/force you to focus all your efforts on looking your best come film time. mix in a certain amount of assistance substances (possibly) and stay the course until the films over. not rocket science, but certainly not a regiment the avg joe can afford to follow.

ever notice what these guys look like a few months after wrapping the film? nobodys asking how that got that body.

also, i did find some of the exer. in the clip interesting and looked fun to try out but changing the w/o everyday and pushing til you puke everyday..........sounds too much like high school football practice.

anyway, it was fun to read/watch. interesting stuff. thanks  mardarxz

Empire magazine said that they also had a bit of help from the airbrush. i.e. painted-on abs.

How much of it is hard work, and how much is make-up, I don't know. But it also said they had an &quot;intensive two-month training regime&quot;. Two months doesn't seem that long to me. That's just one HST cycle.

If I only had two months before I was going to be committed to film in a loincloth (or is that codpiece?) for all posterity, I think I'd be looking at chemical assistance.

It`s not the timing, if you`re fairly lean you can even get ready for a contest in two months, and that`s a far taller order than getting abz for a movie. The thing is most of these dudes simply wouldn`t embrace the lifestyle required to achieve results, and why should they, when they have the best juices/juice &quot;gurus&quot; available, nutritionists ready to fix their every meal so on and so forth? Why not keep to the women and booze?
tounge.gif

You know this is a very interesting article and to be honest I would love to train like this.

I think it would be awesome to push your body to the extreme every day.

But I don't know that it would be the best route to bulk up which is what he did.

You know I use to buy into all the bull **** of More and more is better but after HST I don't think more and more is better however....he did make one hell of a transformation?

finally saw the movie,

i wont claim it was awesome but it certainly delivered on what is was trying to be, a testosterone soaked, semi bloody battle pic. i enjoyed it.

as far as the whole physique thing i think the article gothic provided did a great job of explaining the look they were going for and how they got it. a few of the spartans were decently big but many were of relative avg muscle size yet pretty lean. most of these guys would look avg in street clothes (like most of us) but they certainly pulled off the lean, mean warrior look for the movie.

its worth checking out.

my oldest is still mad at me for mumbling &quot;what a bunch of girlymen&quot;....&quot;i wonder how many yards I could throw him?&quot;.....and other little phrases like that during the movie.

Guess I'm not mature enough to watch movies with him anymore.  At least I kept quiet when Robert Maillet appeared in the movie.  Thought that was impressive.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">my oldest is still mad at me for mumbling &quot;what a bunch of girlymen&quot;....&quot;i wonder how many yards I could throw him?&quot;.....and other little phrases like that during the movie. </div>

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah, too many reps, ok to write it...do it? Make me believe it!

Paint on abs
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

&quot;....&quot;i wonder how many yards I could throw him''

Lol. Im so excited about this movie, finally a macho movie instead of the pussification of males perpetuated by our society.

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 19 2007,15:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Rocky lives. Unfortunately he keeps getting reincarnated...</div>
and he has been caught with growth hormones in ozz
biggrin.gif

the actors IMO
loads of money
personal trainers
personal dieticians
best food
best supps(including gear)
best lighting
best makeup
all help
cool.gif

when they make the sequel they should recruit people from hst.

I bet people here could teach them a thing or two about gaining mass or losing bf%

My kid has been talking about seeing this movie. It is apparently loosely based upon a graphic novel of the Battle of Thermopylae.  I gather there is some fantasy thrown in (ogres?) -- it is based upon a comic book, after all.  I would think that the historical events make a sequel unlikely: Battle of Thermopylae

There is a historical quote from the event that stands as one of the all time greatest lines in history.  When a Persian tells Leonidas that their arrows will be so numerous as to blot out the sun, he replies: &quot;So much the better, then we shall fight in the shade.&quot; Apparently the makers of 300 liked it so much they use the line twice in the movie!  BTY, there was also a movie made about this event in 1962 The 300 Spartans

Back