4th Cycle

you seem to have a plan my friend but....if i read it correctly you do full body 8x aweek(you said you dropped down a bit when you hit the 5's)this tells me you need to increase intensity doing full body 2x a day,is cwazy!.and then theres the weight at 6ft over 200lbs@12%you are a big lad and should pull double that weight on deads at least 200lb@20 not to put a damper on things but it dont seem right,but hey if it works for you then go to it. good luck.

Size doesn't always equal strength. I only dead a bit over 300 lbs for 5 reps and I'm 220 @ about 12% right now. There are a lot of neural adaptations to also consider if one does not deadlift that often. I'm sure if Colby did some training focusing more on strength, he'd probably see some rapid gains in his squat, dead, bench and row, but with HST that won't happen quite so much. Rapid strength gains aren't always that good though. I was doing 5x5 and gained quite a bit on my squat, a bit on my bench and row, but my joints are beat to crap...

Still, the disparity between size and strength is another reason I would advocate focusing on strength for a while between every few HST cycles. Some people don't take well to 5x5 and that's fine, there are other strength protocols that are just as valid. HST could easily be tweaked toward this fashion as well.
I'd highly recommend it for you sometime, Colby. You're a young guy still, so I'm sure you could add a ton of poundages to your major lifts in a short period. That would surely assist in your next HST cycle after that as well, since you could use larger increments and so on...

i will go along with that strength isnt everything,i personally havent trained for strength myself but you have to put on the poundages to grow whatever routine you do,simply going through the motions on a trained athlete/lifter isnt enough you have to get creative to keep making gains.

Yeah I totally agree Totentanz... that's why my shoulders (although big, but not strong) are having more rapid strength gains over the past HST cycles rather than other muscles. I am about to start bench press up again... and I never tried deadlifts till last fall.

The plan is to cut through the summer (HST, 912), then in September start up a 5x5 routine before I start going on a bulk for the winter.

Back