5 til 6 times/week

success.

Hey,

this is my first post, so hi everybody!
laugh.gif

I just found out about HST and it really seems great. But I'm not quite sure how to implement it.
The thing is most people seem to train like 3-4 times per week. But I've always been training 5-6 times per week with some standard 3group splitting (my english isn't perfect, so I hope you get what I mean
rock.gif
).
Is there a way to train 5-6 times per week with HST? I couldn't find any article about splitting and HST.
And whenever I found some threads about that topic, it was like the people training more then 4times do like only 4 different exercises per workout...

I would be really glad if you'd give me some advice.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is there a way to train 5-6 times per week with HST? I couldn't find any article about splitting and HST.</div>

Higher frequency permits lesser frequency per workout, so that is why there were less exercises. If you want to train 5-6x/week, then stick to the core compounds:

Deadlifts
Squats
Chins
Dips
Military Press

If you have the time, and you want to specialize a certain muscle, then add in skulls for triceps, curls for biceps, shrugs for traps, etc...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you want to train 5-6x/week, then stick to the core compounds:</div>

Thanks man, I will do that!

Here's another option:
M,W,F Do compounds, like Colby mentioned
T, TH, Sat Do isolations, like bicep, tricep, lateral raises, shrugs, calves, leg curls, etc.
Sun, rest.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here's another option:
M,W,F Do compounds, like Colby mentioned
T, TH, Sat Do isolations, like bicep, tricep, lateral raises, shrugs, calves, leg curls, etc.
Sun, rest. </div>

Hey that sounds good to me! Thanks for your advice. I will take some time to think about whats better for me.
But that's really a good option.

What e^pi*i mentioned works great because it gives you the specialization during the off days. I did it for my 3rd and 4th cycles and had good results.

I'd also recommend thinking about doing a push-pull split- something like this:

MWF (push)
Squats
Bench
Calf raises
Some kind of press (I like Arnolds, but your call)

TThS (pull)
SLDLs
Lat pulldowns or pullups
Rows
Biceps (I like to alternate forward and reverse curls)

Thanks Jake,

that looks like a good way to split to me. Never saw somebody doing a push- and a pull-day, but why not.
biggrin.gif

The only thing I dislike is that this are so few different exercises per workout. But I think it won't be a problem if I add some more.

Jake

It is a good idea to keep it simple, so...don'tjust add more, if unhappy, top up on volume a little.

The above are great exercises!

I'm also one of those Keep-It-Short-and-Simple people.

Stick to the few most effective compounds for you. Just do them either 3x a week or more, whatever floats your boat. You can do 5-6x a week, as long as you watch the overall volume, an make sure you aren't overfatigued. And that you eat a lot. Like a cow or something
biggrin.gif

Regards,
-JV

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm also one of those Keep-It-Short-and-Simple people.

Stick to the few most effective compounds for you. Just do them either 3x a week or more, whatever floats your boat. You can do 5-6x a week, as long as you watch the overall volume, an make sure you aren't overfatigued. And that you eat a lot. Like a cow or something
biggrin.gif

Regards,
-JV</div>
No Mr. &quot;JV&quot;, you are also one of those I-Don't-Know-What-I'm-Saying-Coz-I'm-A-Retard people.

Geez. Sticking to few exercises? The body is composed of so many varied muscle groups. You HAVE to do a lot of different compounds for the best possible growth. I though that was the very first thing noobs learn. But I guess they didn't teach you that in Retard School.

-The Real Deal

Mr. Raw Deal

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Geez. Sticking to few exercises? The body is composed of so many varied muscle groups. You HAVE to do a lot of different compounds for the best possible growth.</div>

I did not know you're still around, we have to do something about you.
mad.gif

Your ideas are not in line with HST and the standard phylosophy!

What science are you using to base yourself on? Is HIT still producing results for yourself? Then why not go bray about it on HIT boards? We don't go to HIT borads and degrade others there or even debase their philiosophy, do we? So why are you intent on causing harm here?

Please do us a favour and either try HST as it is, or leave this board alone or even better read and learn....
wink.gif

@Fausto,

Well, at least you didn't say jvroig wasn't a retard. That would have totally destroyed your credibility if you began your post with such nonesense.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Your ideas are not in line with HST and the standard phylosophy! </div>
Duh, obviously, didn't I clearly express before that I think HST is flawed?

What I said here was clear... you CANNOT stick to a few (like 3 or 4) compounds, even if they are squats, deads, bench and chins, because of the complexity of muscle groups. Those four may hit all muscles, but not equally. That should be obvious to even a noob, which is what I meant when I told jvroig I assumed every noob knew that.

That's why one must use a lot of exercises, to be able to hit the muscles effetively. I didn't say train to failure like your life depended on it. That's just insane! Watch the volume, but be sue to do a lot of different exercises.

I also read a recent post of jvroig about this, mentioning &quot;neural learning&quot;. That's a bunch of nonsense. In the long run, it won't matter. Do you expect to be Arnold in just a few months? Of course not, if you are bodybuilding, then you expect to be working out for years... that kind of timespan just makes &quot;neural learning&quot; an insignificant factor.

My thougts.

-The Real Deal

P.S. <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I did not know you're still around, we have to do something about you.</div> Of course I'm still here, aren't I HST Forum's favorite member? What would you guys do without me?
biggrin.gif

Real,

I am but a noob. As you are obviously one of the few people here with 'real' experience and knowledge, please tell me which muscles are not being worked if you do the following?:

MWF (push)
Squats
Bench
Calf raises
Some kind of press (I like Arnolds, but your call)

TThS (pull)
SLDLs
Lat pulldowns or pullups
Rows
Biceps (I like to alternate forward and reverse curls)

Many thanks.

(As an aside, I would alternate SLDLs with normal deads and alternate bench with weighted dips).

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Duh, obviously, didn't I clearly express before that I think HST is flawed?</div>

Puzzles me, then why are you still around? Favourite, you? Go figure!

<div>
(Fausto @ Jul. 04 2006,05:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Jake

It is a good idea to keep it simple, so...don'tjust add more, if unhappy, top up on volume a little.

The above are great exercises!</div>
Alright, with so many of you agreeing to this I will stick to that exercises - but I have to admit that it's difficult for me, since I've always been used to much more iso.

Thanks for all your advice.
smile.gif

<div>
(Real_Deal @ Jul. 04 2006,10:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What I said here was clear... you CANNOT stick to a few (like 3 or 4) compounds, even if they are squats, deads, bench and chins, because of the complexity of muscle groups.</div>
Proof? According to the charts at exrx.net, you'll have pretty much the entire body covered with those. FWIW, I would say you need six lifts minimum, but it is still the same basic idea and you don't need to do more then eight to ten different lifts at max.

Out of curiousity, what lifts would you do? I think something like the following would pretty much cover everything, and I've had a lot of success with variations of this:

Deads (conventional)
Squats (full ROM)
Good Mornings
BB Bentover Row (90 degrees to the floor, underhanded grip)
Incline Bench
Military Press
Weighted Chins
Optionally: Curls or something for triceps

Maybe add in weighted dips as well.

This is, of course, when your goal is for mass. If your goals are simply for raw strength, I maintain that sticking to four core exercises would be your best bet. A focus on increasing the weight you move for deads, squats, bench and row will do more to increase the amount you can curl than dropping one of those lifts and focusing on curling would do.

<div>
(Real_Deal @ Jul. 04 2006,10:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Duh, obviously, didn't I clearly express before that I think HST is flawed?</div>
By the way, if you think one of HST's principles is sticking to very few lifts and doing only compounds, then your understanding of HST is flawed. You could do HST with only iso's as long as you hit the entire body three times a week and keep increasing the load.

With the main core mentioned it would be difficult to find a muscle NOT worked to some degree. Ok if you want to focus on a particular muscle then fair enough - but even then an iso may be sufficient.

Real_Deal, can you post up your w/o so we can see what kind of setup you're working with - i'd find it interesting.

Not choosing sides here by no means, but just a quick point to make. Real Deal argues that you need multiple exercises to work the entire body due to the various muscle origins and insertions, as well as the numerous actions of different muscle groups (I elaborated), and I have to agree (somewhat) as the back muscles alone perform several functions, e.g. scapular retraction, levation, depression, lumbar extension, blah, blah, blah...so, in essence, deads alone will not necessarily perform all these functions, at least not through the ROM and loading needed to cause significant hypertrophy.
As far as doing the basic 4 for raw strength as mentioned, this is also a bit incorrect, considering a powerlifter is only as strong as his weakest link, i.e. it is not uncommon to focus on doing exercises such as good mornings to improve deads and squats, or doing lots of rotator cuff work to boost bench. It may sound like I chose sides, but I am merely trying to address the &quot;basic&quot; references made by Real Deal, who in his own way, while derogatory, should help make you guys brighter because he is challenging you to be able to counter his arguments and you do that by reading, seeing, hearing, and doing. After you have done these things, then you can say with certainty that he is wrong and you are right, or concede that he has made valid points...
Either way, you win because you learned more than you intended too.

Back