5's instead of negatives

mishik

Hi.
I've just re-read the FAQ.
This is a quote of Blade from the topic about negatives:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you train alone, there are many exercises you can't do negatives on simply because you would need a partner to help you lift the weight first. If you do train alone - or if you feel any particular strains or aches - I would suggest that you just continue using your 5 rep max for each exercise for an additional 2 weeks after finishing the first 2 week block of 5s. You should see good results using your 5 rep max for an additional 2 weeks.
In the same topic there are some results from a study, showing why doing negatives is beneficial, but there is no explanation why using a constant load (5 R.M.) for another 2 weeks would be benefitial.
Since I train alone and negatives are not really an option for me, going for another 2 weeks of 5's is what I'm gonna do, but I feel that I'm not really sure why I will be doing that, since it contradicts the principle of progressive load...
I'd appreciate if someone that is familiar with HST theoretical basis would explain the reason for doing another micro-cycle of 5's.

mishik,

If you are worried that during the final 2 weeks that you won't see much progress doing your 5rm without the progressive load and negatives are not an option, how about doing drop sets instead. Just add a set onto the final 2 weeks of the 5rm workouts. Basically do for example 2 sets of your 5rm and then add on additional set which is 25% less weight of your 5rm and then crank out until almost failure. I do drop sets and love them.

Good Luck
Geno

I'd suggest doing cluster reps to keep increasing the weight. If you're doing 2 sets during your 5's (10 reps total) ... then keep increasing the weight with a rep goal of 10. Do as many sets as it takes to get 10 reps .... stopping the set before failure. For instance, if you increase the weight after your 5rm, you may be doing 3 sets of 3, then a set of 1 to reach 10 reps.

as for your specific question, the RBE seems to slow down with heavier weights, so you should get more productive time out of your 5RMs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ April 19 2005,4:16)]as for your specific question, the RBE seems to slow down with heavier weights, so you should get more productive time out of your 5RMs.
As Bosox points out, RBE, even though the effects are seen even after one unaccustomed loading does not necessarily abide by the all or none principal. During heavy loading it's a bit more gradual than that. Extending the 5's will still be effective for most for a considerable amount of time because of the load and strain upon the tissue.

Back