6th Cycle

tetrah

Hey guys,

After several successful cycles of the regular HST routine, I want to try something new. I've gained nearly 25 lbs in 4 cycles, 5 lbs for the first two, with 10 lbs on my third one (ate alot more) and another 5 lbs on my 4th cycle (went from 170 to peaking at 196). I made my 5th cycle a cutting phase and dropped from 196 to 184 in two months. I'm happy to say that the results are pleasing.

For my 6th cycle, I wanted to try something new. I really liked the info for customizing HST so I thought i'd give it a shot. This is what I came up with:

Caloric Intake - around 4000
400g protein
400g carbs
70g fat

Frequency: 3 times a week

HIIT twice a week (non workout days)
- HIIT is comprimised of 5 cycles of sprinting,
most likely 10 secs with 20 sec rest, or 30 sec sprint w/ 1 minute rest

abs: 10 nelson situps every workout

15s ( 2 weeks )
Pull-Ups: 5+ lbs each workout
Dips: 5+ lbs each workout
Deadlift: 10+ lbs each workout
Calfraise: 10+ lbs each workout

10s ( 2 weeks)

dumbell flies: 5+ lbs each workout
cable shoulder lateral raise (shoulder is in stretched position): 5+ lbs each workout
shrugs: 5+ lbs each workout
cable rows: 10+ lbs each workout
incline curl: 5+ lbs each workout
tricep overhead extention: 5+ lbs each workout

5s ( 2 weeks )

// hit the reflex at the end of a set? or pulsing?  loaded stretch?//
dumbell flies: 5+ lbs each workout
cable shoulder lateral raise: 5+ lbs each workout

post-5s ( 2 weeks )
Pull-Ups: maybe do one-arm negatives?
Dips: jump up and go down
Deadlift: may get rid of this
Calfraise: might just have to do loaded stretch/pulse

//negatives w/loaded stretches/pulsing//
dumbell flies
cable shoulder
shrugs
rows
incline curl
tricep overhead extention

As you can see, i'm more in tune with building up my upper body. I know I have nothing working my quads, but thats a muscle i'm not worried about building up. My increments aren't really set yet (like if i'm going to repeat weights, zigzag, etc), but i am looking for a more linear weight progression. Are there any suggestions to improving this? Anything I missed? Please critique. Thanks.

Plan out the increments. You don't want to mess up a bodypart accidentally and hit your max too early for that muscle/s. That'd be my suggestion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]dumbell flies: 5+ lbs each workout
cable shoulder lateral raise (shoulder is in stretched position): 5+ lbs each workout

Ignore these in the 10s I reckon. Wait until the 5s and post 5s.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

As for ignoring the stretch point exercises for the 10s, do you have a reason for this?

I was thinking of clustering them into the workout, ie lets say I aimed 30 reps for pull ups, and since they workout the back, biceps, etc, would I be able to replace the rep count for incline curls and rows, etc as 10 reps?

So in the 15s i would hit 30 reps just for pulls ups.

In the 10s i would hit 20 reps for pulls ups, but 10 reps for incline curls and rows.

Or would that not work at all lol
blush.gif

Above routine looks pretty good. Some extra notes:

Stretch-point Exercises

1) Cable rows should be included in 15s as normal part of routine.

2) DB Flies: Important that DB flies be done as low as possible. Use the 10RM/5RM of normal ROM DB flies. As you approach the max for each phase (and to avoid cuff irritation), use a bench press motion to raise the weight, then lower it for full stretch.

3) Shrugs: Look at your toes while you're doing them. This will put the trapezius muscles in a stretch. Don't sweat going all the way to the top.

4) Calves: Curl toes in. Lean forward. Go below the block.

5) Skullcrusher: As you go backwards, orient your elbows as far back as possible and toward each other. When the weight gets a bit heavy, either cluster or use a military press motion to raise the weight.

6) Lateral raise: Basically, it's best done when raised across the chest and perpendicular to your body. This puts the delts in a stretch. To accentuate the stretch, you turn your hip in the opposite direction of the weight. It's also not that important to go all the way to the top. Perhaps only halfway or so.

Loaded stretch
1) Start LS with all stretch-point movements during 5 (beginning or middle, it's up to you.) Go at least 10-15 seconds, basically until you start to feel resistance.

2) LS with calves during 10s.

3) Hold off with PS (pulse stretch) until next cycle. See how the LS works for you.

Pulses (of course, choose which have priority to you)
1) Pec dec or machine fly
2) Tricep pushdown or extension
3) Normal Lateral raises
4) Bicep curl machine
5) Shrugs: Look at the ceiling. Emphasize the top portion.
6) Calves: Emphasize the top.

General notes:
1) See if you can extend post-5s for up to 4 weeks. Use negatives when you can, incrementing once every 5-7 days or 2-3 workout sessions.

2) For movements where negatives aren't available (deadlift, dips possibly), cluster during post-5s. Shoot for another 2 increments or so. Cluster 5-10 reps. If you do 4 weeks of post-5s, just hold at the new max weight for another 2 weeks.

3) During 5s, add in a 15-rep burn set. Start with a very light weight. Do them and the pulses after the main work sets are completed.

4) Nelson situps are pretty tough. Most people have a hard time doing even 10. If so, start small and work up to 10. Start Nelson situps during the middle of 10s.

5) HIIT cardio: I prefer doing them right after workout, but your setup is okay too. Important that you emphasize post-WO carb intake after your HIIT sessions. Add vinegar.

6) Clustering works just fine. Your rep count may be a bit high, though, considering all of the work you'll be doing. Of course, adjust accordingly.

7) Diet: You *may* need to eat more carbs than that during your workout days. At least, be pretty aggressive during your post-WO regimen and your cardio. The vinegar seems to aid in insulin response and glycogen supercompensation. During your true rest days, if you're not feeling depleted, drop the carb intake a little (by 150-200 calories or so.)

Back