90 reps a week for back too much?

chansen

so i just finished my SD and am excited to get started with the 15s. i've noticed a lot of people on this forum talk a lot about the importance of "reps" rather than actual sets done which makes complete sense to me. so i was calculating out my total reps per muscle per week in my routine which is as detailed below. my upper back is a weak spot for me and i want it to grow without overtraining. i plan to separate the rows and pull ups come the 5s into an A/B format. nonetheless, is this too much back work?

LEGS: 45 reps
CHEST: 45
BACK: 90 (not including deads once a week and face pulls)
SHOULDERS: 45

A
Squats
Incline bench
Barbell Row
Lateral Raises
Pull ups
High pulley rows aka face pulls (for rear delts)
Maybe some arm iso's

B
Deadlift (Wed only and only one working set)
Weighted dips
Seated cable rows
Dumbbell shoulder press
Pull ups
Face pulls or barbell shrugs
Maybe arm iso's

Last edited:
Not at all. The "back" is a big muscle group(s). Your plan to do both rows and pullups is spot on. I start one upper routine with pullups and finish my workout with rows, less reps there if Im tired. The other routine where I begin with rows Ill finish with bodyweight only chins, again reps depending on my emergy levels.

On a weekly basis I would do approximately 75-100 reps for back, no lighter than 5RM.

It's the most complex set of skeletal muscles (for purpose of this discussion, I'm not counting diaphragm and heart etc.) and absolutely warrants that workload.

I did an upper back specialty routine in December and did 90 reps of neutral grip chin ups/pull ups per day starting at 15 reps every two hours which came out to 600 reps per week! As I added weight I lowered reps but I kept the same number of exercises per day every two hours. I ended up doing groups of 5 negatives every two hours for a daily volume of 30 negatives but still around 200 negative reps per week. Very intense. I grew my chest girth two inches in a little over a month. It brought my chest up to 48" at 5'8" which I didn't think I would ever see. I have now gone back to hitting my back 3-4 times per week with an average weekly rep total of about 50-60 reps as part of my overall total body routine which has allowed me to keep those gains. I don't want it to shrink or to grow any bigger either. Some stubborn body parts have to be forced to grow once a year or so to maximize one's potential, at least in my case. Not recommended for beginners or intermediates. Only advanced lifters who have hit a wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
old and grey- intense routine! sounds like you were training to be bane's stunt double in dark knight rises ;). dont know if i could manage that workload at this point in my lifting career but insightful nonetheless

I did an upper back specialty routine in December and did 90 reps of neutral grip chin ups/pull ups per day starting at 15 reps every two hours which came out to 600 reps per week! As I added weight I lowered reps but I kept the same number of exercises per day every two hours. I ended up doing groups of 5 negatives every two hours for a daily volume of 30 negatives but still around 200 negative reps per week. Very intense. I grew my chest girth two inches in a little over a month. It brought my chest up to 48" at 5'8" which I didn't think I would ever see. I have now gone back to hitting my back 3-4 times per week with an average weekly rep total of about 50-60 reps as part of my overall total body routine which has allowed me to keep those gains. I don't want it to shrink or to grow any bigger either. Some stubborn body parts have to be forced to grow once a year or so to maximize one's potential, at least in my case. Not recommended for beginners or intermediates. Only advanced lifters who have hit a wall.

Wow, impressive!

Back