_tim's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by _tim, Sep 13, 2007.

1. _tim

_tim Well-Known Member

Summary

This whole thing stems out of a session I had with a trainer on 9/12/2007. This first post will only be a very high level summary of what I'm going to do - or what I think I'm going to do TODAY. It may well change, as has been my pattern.

This will work in alternating weeks, marked as "Power" and "Volume".

My "Power" routine will be split into two workouts:

A:
    Hang Clean
    *Hang Snatch*
    Sumo Deadlift

B:
    Bench Press
    Squats

In my A routine, once I have the Hang Snatch down, I'll likely work this lift in to the week, perhaps on the A day. Not sure how just yet. These Power routines will focus on just that: power. The loads will be higher by nature, and the warmups will be substantial. There will be AT LEAST two days of rest between these workouts, maybe more like 3. Time will tell.

The Volume routines are split into 5, in this progression:
    A: Back
    B: Chest
    C: Shoulders
    D: Legs/Abs
    E: Arms

Each of these routines will have 2-3 exercises per muscle group. The goal of each exercise is to get to the magic number of 20 reps over each of 3 sets. The loads will progress ONLY when this goal is reached, however, they will progress when I am ready. The overall goal of the Volume week is muscle density and endurance.

My current thought as to the exercises I'll use is this (In the case where there's a bunch of exercises, I'll either mash 'em up or just alternate each week over week):

A: Pullups
    Chins
    Pendlays
    CNGP
    WNGP

B: Flat Bench
    Incline Bench
    Decline Bench

C: Standing Press
    Lateral Raise
    Rev Pec Deck

D: Squats
    Standing Calf Raise
    Roman Chair Situps
    Leg Lifts
    Crunch Machine

E: Preacher Barbell Curl
    DB Curl
    Barbell Skullz
    Smithy Close Bench

We'll see how this goes. Maybe I'll tweak it, maybe not. I have no thought as yet as to the duration nor periodicity of the routine, so I guess I'll figure it out as I go and base those decisions on how I feel.

Here we go.

2. _tim

_tim Well-Known Member

Experiment

Today's fun was nothing more than getting the lay of the land, so to speak, for the volume routine. These were some simple tests to see where to set my initial limits.

Out of this came a fun idea: do this whole volume thing in Gator/sci style. I'm gonna progress each SET when the magic number of 20 is reached and step up. I tried it out today and I like it.

My warmup was Oly heaven. I worked my Hang Clean Form, and started my Hang Snatch form training - meaning I used the bar only and went through the lift carefully.

Hang Cleans: 95 x 5; 105 x 3, x 3 - after maybe 30 reps with lesser weights, including some reps only through the first half of the lift - up to the squat back up. I really, really like this.

Bench Press: 135 x 20; 155 x 17, x 15 - I chose this exercise because my chest is about as weak as my 2-year-old's. It worked about like I thought - I think many of the lifts will be like this for a few weeks.

HS Curl: 45 x 20; 55 x 20; 60 x 7 - I knew I wouldn't get much on that last set, but it was the greatest set of curls feeling-wise I've done in a really long time. This setup will work nicely, and I really believe will push my progress along about as well as can be expected.

Pendlay Rows: 95 x 20; 105 x 13 - This was a dumb idea, but a good test. My bi's were shot from the curl sets, so the first part of the lift suffered badly in that second set. Regardless, even with the lower weight, I felt things with this lift I haven't felt before. I'm looking forward to the next time I do these, with fresh biceps.

All in all, I liked this. We'll see how this setup works - next week is my power week, and I think that alone will be great fun.

3. _tim

_tim Well-Known Member

Power A

Good fun.

WU: Hang Snatch: 3 sets of 75, 3-5 reps each.

Hang Clean: WU: 75 x 6; 115 x 3; 135 x 3
    150 x 1 - I know this is light, but I feel good about it.

Sumo Deads: WU: 135 x 10; 185 x 10; 235 x 6
    285 x 2; 305 x 1 - Not near my maxes - working on form at higher weights with this new stance. Nice to break 300, though. 400 is my next target.

Just a couple thoughts. In these power weeks, I'm gonna have to do some intense grip training. My hang cleans were hampered a bit just because of grip fatigue. If I have to worry about my grip, the lift is never going to be fluid, and Ill never train near my maxes.

Secondly, I gotta find a solution for what is going to become problematic: I scraped the hell out of my legs doing these deads today - which tells me that my form is good and the load is appropriately balanced, but taking layers of flesh off with each rep ain't my idea of a good time.

Lastly, my hang snatch form is improving - so much so that I honestly may start alternating weeks between hang snatch and hang clean reps. The lift feels better to me than the clean, which makes little sense given the context of the lift.

4. TunnelRat

TunnelRat Active Member

Just a couple thoughts. In these power weeks, I'm gonna have to do some intense grip training. My hang cleans were hampered a bit just because of grip fatigue. If I have to worry about my grip, the lift is never going to be fluid, and Ill never train near my maxes.

Getcherself some grippers. They really seem to help.

Secondly, I gotta find a solution for what is going to become problematic: I scraped the hell out of my legs doing these deads today - which tells me that my form is good and the load is appropriately balanced, but taking layers of flesh off with each rep ain't my idea of a good time.

High boots...? [​IMG]

5. _tim

_tim Well-Known Member

Thanks TunnelRat! I actually bought an Ivanko Super Gripper a couple months back but stopped my progression for no particular reason. I'm going to start back up and hopefully get the strength and endurance I need.

High boots? That's one idea, I suppose. [​IMG]

6. _tim

_tim Well-Known Member

From Dojo's log, a quote from TunnelRat:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When Michigan plays Notre Dame I wish both teams could lose...</div>

PREACH ON, MY BROTHER!

7. UFGatorDude30

UFGatorDude30 New Member

It's not the coolest looking gym gear, but on days you are doing deads, bring a pair of sweatpants and throw those on for either the whole workout if you want it to be simple or just put them on for the deads. That should be sufficient padding to keep your shins from getting shaved apart.

8. _tim

_tim Well-Known Member

That's a heck of an idea, Gator. Simple, too. I like that.

Thanks.

9. <div>
    (UFGatorDude30 @ Sep. 18 2007,12:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It's not the coolest looking gym gear, but on days you are doing deads, bring a pair of sweatpants and throw those on for either the whole workout if you want it to be simple or just put them on for the deads.  That should be sufficient padding to keep your shins from getting shaved apart.</div>
    You could also go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a piece of cheap foam pipe insulation, cut it to size, and slap it on the bar. The thinner the better, obviously.

10. TunnelRat

TunnelRat Active Member

<div>
    (dojomatic @ Sep. 18 2007,16:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You could also go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a piece of cheap foam pipe insulation, cut it to size, and slap it on the bar. The thinner the better, obviously.</div>
    The Greeks preferred bronze greaves for their deadlifts.

[​IMG]

11. _tim

_tim Well-Known Member

<div>
    (dojomatic @ Sep. 18 2007,16:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You could also go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a piece of cheap foam pipe insulation, cut it to size, and slap it on the bar. The thinner the better, obviously.</div>
    That's also a heck of an idea. Thanks Dojo!

12. _tim

_tim Well-Known Member

<div>
    (TunnelRat @ Sep. 18 2007,16:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The Greeks preferred bronze greaves for their deadlifts.</div>
    ...and for their role as gladiators. THAT is hardcore.

13. Lol

Lol Super Moderator Staff Member

Tim, are you using a hook grip for your cleans etc?

If you are and your grip is still the weak link then I guess it would be okay to use straps for multi-rep sets, esp. while you are training grip. Once your grip is up the job you can dispense with the straps.

14. _tim

_tim Well-Known Member

<div>
    (Lol @ Sep. 19 2007,08:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tim, are you using a hook grip for your cleans etc?</div>
    Hey Lol -

Based on what I just learned, no, I haven't been using a hook grip. I'll definitely give it a shot the next time I'm in the gym to see what it ultimately does for my grip. Thanks for bringing that to my attention again - I'd forgotten that I was to use hook grips when I did the Oly stuff.

If anyone else is in the dark about what a hook grip is, go here.

15. Lol

Lol Super Moderator Staff Member

Some good info there. Initially, do expect some discomfort when using a hook grip. I over did it when I started and had sore thumbs for two weeks! Just do a few sets with a hook grip and get used to the feel of it with some lighter loads.

When you start out, it will feel like you could grip the bar better with a regular closed grip but persevere with it and you will be rewarded with a much more secure grip and very little discomfort.

16. _tim

_tim Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, Lol! I'll give it a shot.

17. soflsun

soflsun New Member

<div>
    (_tim @ Sep. 13 2007,14:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">E: Preacher Barbell Curl
       DB Curl
       Barbell Skullz
       Smithy Close Bench</div>
    Tim,

Looks very interesting...what is the HS curl?  I thought it was hamstring but then you said your biceps were sore from it.  Good luck.

18. _tim

_tim Well-Known Member

<div>
    (soflsun @ Sep. 19 2007,12:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Looks very interesting...what is the HS curl? I thought it was hamstring but then you said your biceps were sore from it. Good luck.</div>
    Hey soflsun -

Yeah, &quot;HS curl&quot; makes all kinds of sense when referring to HAMSTRING curls, right?

In my context, it refers to HAMMER STRENGTH. I have this constant debate with myself as to whether or not this machine is better than using a barbell (or bent bar, as it were) on a preacher setup. I dunno - I suppose a few more trials may tell.

BUT - to answer your question, &quot;HS&quot; as I use it is Hammer Strength.

19. great grip link tim, much appreciated.

20. liegelord

liegelord New Member

Good to see your oly lifts are coming along tim. lol's right, and the hook grip will give you easily 50 pounds more on your grip. It's uncomfortable as hell at first though.

One question though, why are you doing sumo deadlifts instead of conventional? Even if some pull heavier, I wouldn't think there would be much carry-over to other lifts, such as snatches and cleans.