? about burn sets and other random stuff

some_guy

ive heard some stuff about doing a burn set during the 5's. could someone elaborate on this more please?? i was thinkin something like at the end of my workout take the weight from about workout 3 or 4 of my 15 rm block and do 15 reps of it with all my main compound lifts. not worry about the isolations. hows this sound? is it nessesary to do this burn set? how much does it help?

another question, not really hst specific, but anyways.
in my workout ive been doing i decided to drop lat pulldowns for rows(wide and narrow grip) instead because it was alot easier to increment with rows. will the rows hit my lats as well as the pulldowns? more specificly will it give the v shape as well(or close to as well) as the latpulldowns? it seems like it would work the top of your upper back better but not on the sides quite as much but i dont know. hard to describe kinda but if you get what im saying comment please.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (some_guy @ April 06 2005,7:26)]ive heard some stuff about doing a burn set during the 5's.  could someone elaborate on this more please??  

i decided to drop lat pulldowns for rows(wide and narrow grip) instead because it was alot easier to increment with rows.  will the rows hit my lats as well as the pulldowns?  more specificly will it give the v shape
A drop set or burn set is a set or two to induce the lactic acid in the muscle tissue. Read the FAQ, Drop sets and high rep sets it's explained completely there.

V shape is a combinatoin of Lat, shoulder, back and waist width. IMHO, even though I'm a row (Bent Barbell) fanatic, they don't seem to add as much width to the back but they do add thickness, when compared to Pull Ups/Chin Ups or Lat Pulldowns. Ultimately it is largely dependant on waist size, if your sporting a spare tire your lats will never look all that wide.

Yeh I find that rowing exercises hit the traps (middle, lower) and the muscles around the scapula more so than the lats.

thanks for the reply. im pretty skinny(like a 30" waist, ~8%BF) so spare tire is not an issue. i read that article on high reps once but ill go through it again.

anyone care to commentwhat they do for burn set drop set or whetever during the 5's?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (some_guy @ April 06 2005,10:03)]thanks for the reply.  im pretty skinny(like a 30" waist, ~8%BF) so spare tire is not an issue.  i read that article on high reps once but ill go through it again.  
anyone care to commentwhat they do for burn set drop set or whetever during the 5's?
During 5's I just drop the weight by about 40% from the work set weight and then rep out, since I don't have a selectorized machine it is hard for me to do drops so I do high rep sets or pulsing sets, depending on the movement.

Pulse Reps rule
thumbs-up.gif

Back