About to start another Progression

AM/PM split? I was never into that but when I was reading through research I kept running into articles that concluded 2x a day workouts were not any more productive than 1x a day, that they detract from anabolism due to hormonal profile shifting, and a study or two that 2x a days effects were inconclusive. I have no recollection of any article I found on the topic demonstrating AM/PM splits as beneficial.

If you are growing on it, well, damn, I would've never guessed it. If I were doing an AM/PM split I would take an hours worth of lifts and break them into two 20-30 minute sessions. This way you would stay fresh for round 2.

Thanks for posting on the front squat. I have wanted to be capable of an Olympic style front squat but I cannot get my wrists and arms to agree. I think keeping the elbows up like the Oly's do really helps your squating form.

I am also tall. 6'5 to be exact. Probably will be 6'6 if I keep doing my posture regimen. I have read elsewhere that for taller lifters the leg press can be better for squats if hypertrophy is the goal. So, to me, your experience adds one more penny in the verification jar on this one. I still want to do squats though. Especially breathing squats. Partly to see if the old school way is true, but also just to try them. I am so sick of worrying about growth and optimal this or that I'm to the point where I will do something literally just to have fun. I don't care if I'm just using the bar, I'll put my ass to the ground. I always have a rule: once I set the ROM for a lift it must be complete to count as a rep. If I didn't make ROM on the last rep, well then that's not a rep. Do squat number 17 again.

I agree but I get stuck. If I use Ahnolds "cheat" principle, it seems that I do progress in weight, of course, but then my lifts of, say, 3 workouts ago whereupon I failed the Rom, are now easily completed. Your dedicated method is valorous and functional as long as you can progress without becoming discouraged at the sticking points. Temptation lulls me forward in a blasphemous corruption of honest labor at times, but I only consider complete reps as ability.
Is there not a tradeoff between fullbody workouts and the usually increased workload total of a split? I would think (or expect) that the anabolism factor VS extra work would more or less balance each other out.

I wanted to say something about cheating but couldn't fit it in without diluting my point. Cheating has value, undeniably. If I remember correctly, the Cheat Principle states that cheating is best employed towards the end of a set. Cheating then, is an adjunct to disciplined form. In fact, I'd say cheating well used is not cheating at all. Employed properly cheating is good form. Perhaps the non parallel squaters aren't so much cheating as they are egoing, or are simply afraid to push themselves.

Back